Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: installed return behind upright

1. Back To Top    #1

installed return behind upright

Somehow the wall moved while putting it up and now the return is behind and l an upright. Now I know the right thing to do is take it all down and redo it but my concern is that we have been literally waiting for months to have a few dry enough days that aligned with my hectic work schedule to install this and now it's calling for rain starting tomorrow for the next 4 -5 days and who knows after that. I'm concerned if I can't get the wall moved before the rain the foundation or posts could get compromised.

I know people have added a second return to their metal wall above ground pool (and just leave the original return behind the upright) is this an option that would solve my issue and save my pool from the weather?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: installed return behind upright

Fyi, my warranty will already be voided because I'm burying the pool 8" deeper than is covered under the warranty so that's not an issue. My only concern is safety and having read about others adding a second return to help with circulation I can't see why this would cause any structural issues.

Secondly if I go this route, should I cut the hole into the same steel panel the original return and singer are on?

3. Back To Top    #3

If your return is covered by an upright, your skimmer box cut out may also be covered or very close to an upright. I would check it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

The skimmer is fine. Anyone have any tips on how to get the aqualuminator apart so I can verify what size hole I need. The light came packaged together and for the life of me I cannot unscrew it. I am trying with all of my might but there is no place to grip it.
    12X20x54" Saltwater 8000 semi-inground, Waterway 1.5hp 2speed 22" Pump Sand Filter, Hayward Goldline Aquatrol HP SWG, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm not sure.

Personally, I'd reset the wall.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm not sure.

No one has ever used an aqualuminator?
    12X20x54" Saltwater 8000 semi-inground, Waterway 1.5hp 2speed 22" Pump Sand Filter, Hayward Goldline Aquatrol HP SWG, TF100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Straight6tt View Post
    No one has ever used an aqualuminator?
    Have you tried reading the manual?

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/6193...LumLightAG.pdf

Look at page 2

John
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

I have an aqualuminator. Let me know if you still need help. I didn't install it in the pool, but I removed it to close and then replaced after the winter.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jtburf View Post
    Have you tried reading the manual?

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/6193...LumLightAG.pdf

Look at page 2

John
    Yes I have read the manual. There is no way to accomplish what it asks.

It is impossible to remove to bulb retainer nut. I think I tore my bicep trying to turn it and it will not budge

10. Back To Top    #10

Tried a large pair of channel lock pliers or pipe wrench?

John

11. Back To Top    #11
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

I went out to my pool and removed the back cover on my light. I think I know what you are talking about. When you push the bulb through the pool wall and then twist a plastic nut on....is that what you're asking about? When I installed it, it's only finger tight. Right out of the package you may need a couple of those lid gripper things to get a grip on things or maybe even some channel lock pliers. Just make sure to protect the threads. Is this what your light looks like?
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

12. Back To Top    #12

NO my problem is how do i get the water jet that goes on the inside of the pool off so that I may stick the light through my pool wall. It all shipped together and I cant for the life of me figure out how to take it apart to put it through my return hole.

I really appreciate all of your help.

13. Back To Top    #13

Can you please post pics. Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the darkbuster which looks similar. You have to unscrew the retainer nut on the outside before you can unscrew the flow director on the inside of the pool.
    18' round above ground est 8600 /gal with Hayward sand filter filled with well water

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok that's what I was trying before but it's apparently on ultra right because I cannot budge it with my hands. I'm going to try a pipe wrench tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

16. Back To Top    #16

When I adjust my flow director it tightens up and I'm always having to loosen the retaining nut on the outside. It does get tight to where I can't get it by hand.
    18' round above ground est 8600 /gal with Hayward sand filter filled with well water

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm not sure.

+1

If you decide not to reset the wall you are going to need to fill the hole that is behind the upright so the weight of the water does not push the liner through the unused hole & tear it.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Straight6tt View Post
    NO my problem is how do i get the water jet that goes on the inside of the pool off so that I may stick the light through my pool wall. It all shipped together and I cant for the life of me figure out how to take it apart to put it through my return hole.

I really appreciate all of your help.
    Drain your pool below the return line by 4" give or take, use a large pair of channel locks or pipe wrench to loosen the interior nut.
    remove and replace with the new light/return

John

19. Back To Top    #19

The pipe wrench worked like a charm.

20. Back To Top    #20

So what are your plans and are they complete? Just wondering...