Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump to small for filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Toronto, Ont. Canada

Pump to small for filter?

I replaced my pump (this spring) and filter (last year) and think I may have screwed up.

I'm traveling more than normal this year, so have hired someone to take care of my pool (horrible I know). This the first year w/ my 3/4 HP Whisperflo pump (which the local pool shop indicated would be just fine). My pool guy is afraid that my pump may be too small for my filter (30" Hayward Sand Filter). He cleans the pool every Friday and has needed to add "clarifier" every week and thinks it may be because my pump is not sufficiently pumping through the filter (i.e. the filter is too big or pump to small). Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance. TFP is the best.
    26k gal, IG Vinyl, 3/4 HP Pentair Whisperflo, Hayward S310T2 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 Cleaner
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Pump to small for filter?

Post us up a full set of test results and tell us how long you run the pump daily. I'll bet good money your problem is chemically related.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Pump to small for filter?

My friend has a triton 2 TA100 sand filter, IT IS HUGE, holds 600 pounds of sand, 100 pounds more than yours... He has a 1hp whisperflow 2 speed pump and uses low speed 95% of the time.. His water is TFP clear

what I said that for is the bigger the filter, the more filter media and therefore the clearer the water... I would say him taking care of the pool 1 time a week has more to do with it not being clear than the pump or filter...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **