Salt water system too small for pool

Jun 26, 2015
Odessa,TX
We were given a salt water system and it is not turning on! I already put in the salt and was ready to use. I will be purchasing a new system to use but so far am only finding a smaller one that says max pool gallons 7,000-----and our pool is 10,000 gallons. Is there any chance it wouldn't make too much of a difference? Or do I keep looking for the bigger one?

Also, I have already put in the salt 24 hours ago. With nothing to activate it, do I start using chlorine until we get the SWS? It could be next week because of the holiday

We were given a salt water system and it is not turning on! I already put in the salt and was ready to use. I will be purchasing a new system to use but so far am only finding a smaller one that says max pool gallons 7,000-----and our pool is 10,000 gallons. Is there any chance it wouldn't make too much of a difference? Or do I keep looking for the bigger one?

Also, I have already put in the salt 24 hours ago. With nothing to activate it, do I start using chlorine until we get the SWS? It could be next week because of the holiday
You need a bigger one. We generally recommend getting one double the size of yo0ur pool. So, for a 10,000 pool you want a minimum of 20,000. Getting one too small causes you to have to run it at 100% and extend the hours on the pump well above what yo need to filter the water.

Yes, you should definitely add bleach or liquid chlorine to maintain your chlorine level. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep FC at target level and never let it drop below minimum level or the pool will be unsanitary and algae will start to grow.

- - - Updated - - -

Either Target or Academy Sporting Goods had Intex saltwater systems on sale last week in Dallas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.