Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA dissolve time ?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA dissolve time ?

When I bought CYA in May, it took several days to dissolve. I bought another container about 3 weeks ago, and used it for the first time yesterday and today. It is dissolving within a few hours!! Does the "freshness" of the CYA have anything to do with the time it takes to dissolve? All were the same Clorox brand and size, purchased at Wal-Mart. I added it to the pool the same way (sock method in the skimmer). I'll retest my CYA again in a few days just to make it comes up the amount I am expecting. This is just an "inquiring minds question", I wondered if anyone had the same experience?

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA dissolve time ?

Yep, few hours...
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

It should not vary like that if the water flow rate is the same and the granularity of the CYA is the same and the type of sock you used was the same and the water temperature was the same.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought it seemed strange...which is why I was concerned, but again I won't be retesting for a few days to give it time to show up. Same sock was used, exact same brand (Clorox), and about the same water flow. Water temp from May to July would have increased about 6-8 degrees...it has been cloudy and cool here the past few days. Water temp was 86 degrees when I looked today and yesterday. Everything I've read about CYA says it takes a good bit of time to dissolve.

Sent using Tapatalk
    ~ 18.5' x 36.5' inground Grecian pool with vinyl liner
    ~ approximately 23,000 gallons
    ~ AquaRite Salt Water Generator cell size t-9
    ~ 1.5 HP Hayward Pump and Hayward Sand Filter
    ~ TF-100 test kit