Intex Ultraframe 22 x 52 pool

Jul 3, 2015
Kansas
We bought a Intex 22 foot round pool. We eyeballed the ground and sat it up. It is now drained because it wasn't level. We have been reading and are very confused at the set up. Sand? No sand? Pavers under the feet? We live in Kansas and I really don't want to do this every year!

Welcome to TFP. Yes, lots of options for the base of an AG pool. TFP has lots of threads on that subject. Some things to consider:
- Soil/natural vegetation may determine base material
- Some use sand only, Gorilla Pads, Astroturf, Foam panels, etc as a base flooring for comfort and/or liber protection
- Pavers for feet support - sure. Some advise 2" thick because standard 1" may snap/break from pressure
- Definitely make it level! Anything more than 1" out of level across can lead to excessive tilting and frame failure

In the meantime, make sure you have a TF-100 test kit on its way to test the water yourself. Link below. Welcome to TFP!

Soil is dirt and packed with grass. Our back yard was a parking lot at one time. The new spot for the pool is three inches out of level. It is marked on the ground where we need to add dirt or sand. Should we dig out the grass? We did at our previous house, we had a doughboy pool.

I think it's most common to dig-out the high-end to make it a little lower rather than to try and build a new (false) higher side. If you type "Above ground pool base" in the search feature, you'll see different threads on what people used under their pool, why, and some pros & cons. Good luck!

we only have a 16ft, but we dug out the grass because it starts to smell really bad otherwise. I used the rototiller to loosen up the soil and level out the high spot, then used a tamp to flatten it all out.....It took about a week because we did it all by hand

I learned a lot from my first ultra frame:
Blocks under the feet are necessary. (Used wood under my 18', using concrete patio blocks under the 26') They will sink after it rains a few times. Level the blocks with a transit. A friend lent us a laser transit, I could work on the pool alone when needed. Dig down, as stated, not build up. I Got a gorilla pad this time, it made it so much easier to get the wrinkles out when there was an inch of water. Still filling right now. We used a base of modified 2A, then sand, then the pad. Probably overkill, but we are setting up on the edge of a field, were worried about grass and bugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We used load sand and got about 10 ton to make the liner base we wanted but you wouldn't need near that much. Not sure how to figure with bags. We were told the pros and cons of sand prior to the purchase and we were told that 2-3" max were all that were recommended. Due to the size of the pool and the weight of the water, we decided 4" with more for the cove was the way to go. Everyone who has been in the pool has complimented the feel of the floor. It has no footprints, no wrinkles but does have slight ripples? but not so that it could be classified as dips or pockets. Kind of feels like walking in the shallows at the beach but firm. The auto cleaner has no issue with it at all. :)

Please research the sand base thoroughly. I've noticed that many who use sand also have hard-sided AGPs. The Intex design doesn't have any barrier to prevent sand from washing out from underneath. Unless you're planning to dig down 4", I think foam board or a gorilla pad would be the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you dig out all of the grass, level the ground, lay the provided tarp, and then place a Gorilla Pad, why do you still need sand? If you have money to spend, forget the sand and buy the foam board. The board would go instead of the Gorilla Pad and it gives you a nice, soft cushioned pool bottom.

When digging for an AGP, a thin layer of sand can be used and then you go over it with a compactor or tamper (I think that's what it is called) to make sure it is compressed good. If you do not compress it , it will wash away with the first hard rain. On a hard-sided pool sand can be used but it is to keep the liner from getting under the wall- a completely different situation.

I don't advise using sand, at least not over 1" deep. Get your ground level and then you can use sand to smooth it out.
If your sand is more than 1" deep, critters will dig under your pool into the sand to make their home. Then their home will collapse and you have a low spot. Ask me how I know :)

Some folks use crusher run instead of sand. It holds together better.

But the main thing is to dig down until your ground is within 1" of level from end to end. Then you can use sand or crusher run to smooth it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.