Getting green cloud back on startup of filter

Jul 3, 2015
Eudora, Ks
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My water is clear for the most part but I notice that I sometimes get a green cloud blown back thru the return after starting up my filter. Is this most indicative of channeling in the sand filter?

Hello! :wave: Well, anytime someone mentions a green cloud of any type, anywhere in their pool, I immediately think of algae. Do you have some test results you could post by any chance? Tests from your own kit, not the pool store? We're looking for FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH. That could help us determine what is happening.

Welcome to TFP!

Clear sounds good. For the most part sounds like algae. Algae is caused by low chlorine levels. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level in the pool and should never drop below minimum level or algae will grow. Chlorine CYA Chart

Do you know what your CYA level is?

Thank you for the responses! I do not have current readings today, it's been rainy the last couple days, so a shock is in order. However, I do get algae in the bottom of the pool in spots. After the shock the algae is on the bottom, dead. However I still see the green "cloud" on start up. I should also mention that my pump/filter cycles 24/7- only being turned off to turn the multiport to waste/rinse to eliminate water level. Generally FC runs between 2-4. My TA is slightly high at last reading-150, and PH is in balance. I am thinking however that the filter has channeled and the shock is not killing the older algae that might be trapped in it?

The first thing that comes to mind is you are not backwashing enough. Tell us how often you backwash and how often you have opened the filter to clean it thoroughly. Post back those answers and we'll go from there. (I have a TON of family in Winchester, KS)

Dave since I have all kinds of issues- which you've seen from my other post- I figure I'll ask a backwash question from last year: I've always been told to backwash once my pressure increases over start up by 10 psi. My psi never seems to increase. It always stays right in the middle of start and backwash hatch marks. Generally 15 psi. I will still backwash about once a month. The gauge does drop to 0 when the pump shuts off so I don't think the gauge is faulty. What is your take on this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.