Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is creaking normal with an Intex pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is creaking normal with an Intex pool?

The T bars on our metal frame pool are really creaking when people move in the pool, is that normal?

It's freaking me out a bit, especially as a couple legs are not perfectly straight. They lean in very slightly. the pool is level (we checked!)
    Intex 13" x 39"
    upgrade to Intex 1,000 GPH pump
    upgrade to Intex small 7,000 Gallon saltwater system

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Is creaking normal with an Intex pool?

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod View Post
    The T bars on our metal frame pool are really creaking when people move in the pool, is that normal?

It's freaking me out a bit, especially as a couple legs are not perfectly straight. They lean in very slightly. the pool is level (we checked!)
    My 18' X 48" creaks when we have a lot of activity in the pool.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, I recall the creaking as well.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as your legs are straight and you see no permanent deflection in the top rails, you should be fine. How old is the pool?

5. Back To Top    #5

it's brand new! the legs are mostly straight, but there are a couple that are slightly bending inward.
    Intex 13" x 39"

6. Back To Top    #6

Bending or tilted?
    Bending would indicate stress...
    If they are tilting, have they been like that since the pool was set up? Or have they moved?

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, bending would be bad. But leaning/tilting is not so bad.

Could it be possible the creaking you are be hearing is the liner rubbing on the top bar when there is movement in the pool?

8. Back To Top    #8

not bending, sorry. Tilting inward, yes. and they do seem to be moving slightly since we put it up. we had 4 kids in it yesterday, so I am guessing this was why.
    Intex 13" x 39"

9. Back To Top    #9

I would not worry about it to much. What type of ground is this installed on eg: concrete grass etc?

10. Back To Top    #10

we removed all grass, leveled the dirt, then added 1/2" of sand and packed and packed. then leveled and left it while we got a huge rain storm, then leveled again.
    then we put up landscaping border to 'contain' the sand. maybe I should put up pics. lol
    Intex 13" x 39"

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah pic's would help.

12. Back To Top    #12

all intex pools creak a little bit.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, ours creaks when you make big waves.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

14. Back To Top    #14

As long as it is level, it's most likely just fine... It is important that the legs are "set" evenly (relative to one another). Did you set the legs on pavers or anything solid?

Assuming your pool is level to within 1/4-1/2 inch... Here's an idea to help figure out if you have anything to worry about: try using a small carpenters ("bubble") level to check your top/horizontal rails... And then use it to check if the leg in question is vertical (think side-to-side as you stand directly in front of it. ) It's probably "kicked out" a little @ the bottom. They do that--It's normal... So it won't be vertical from front to back (as you face it). But you should still use the level to determine how much that leg is "kicked-out"... Then go around the pool with the level, and see if they are all equally tilted.

I think as long as you can confirm that the legs have all "set" the same*, and that the pool is level... Then if it were my pool, I'd feel reassured and safe.

This is personally my biggest pet-peeve re: Intex-type pools... The instructions tell you to assemble the pool in an area that is level. I think some models give parameters to tell you how level is "level enough." But they give zero guidance on how to best level an area, nor do they tell people the #1 way to help assure that the pool will set-up solidly: use pavers (or 1x10" wood plank pieces, if you're taking it down at the end of the season)under the legs... Making sure that every one of them is level compared to the others.

*the legs "set" as the pool fills & the weight of the water pulls on the top/horizontal rails... That force is then transferred to the legs which are in turn driven into the ground, or pavers, or whatever the pool is set-up on. This is what creates the stability in this type of pool. If the legs are not even, or if the ground isn't level, too much force will be placed on one or more legs, and not enough on others... Creating instability and the tendency for the pool to "walk" when the water shifts around in the pool as waves are created during play... If everything is even then the legs share the force and, although it may creak and jiggle... It won't walk.
    If Intex explained the above as the reason why the ground must be level... People would understand why it's important to level everything meticulously, and watch how the legs are setting as the pool fills, making adjustments while the legs can still be moved.

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Exactly the reason we aren't filling our new Intex when we aren't home or overnight. It's going to take longer, but we can keep an eye on it. Our old pool creaked when the boys would get wild in it, I think it's because the posts are interlocked pretty tightly.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!