Underwater light puzzle

Jun 8, 2015
Lexington, NC
Background : Purchased house with pool in November, there's pretty spotty service history and the local pool guy has been pretty much useless..

As part of a SLAM it was recommended that I remove my underwater light to clean in behind, which was a great suggestion as it was gross back there! But when I pulled the fixture out the real problem became evident. The fixture itself was full of water.

The puzzle here is that the fixture was also sealed air tight, it took a bit of effort to pry the lens off even after removing the retaining ring, and pusshing/pulling the rubber seal resulted in some air bubbles.

Inside the bulb was shattered on one side and there's what looks like mud.

I've never been able to get this fixture to light, BUT also never had a breaker blow in the house as I would expect if it was shorted out like it was. It's possible that it was disconnected at the junction box, or is there something else in the system I should be checking?

Also what to do with the fixture that somehow took on water despite being airtight?

20150703_143733.jpg
20150703_143742.jpg

Replace it. That is definitely some weird stuff going on there.

You need to figure out what niche and light you have now, how long the cord is, because the cord goes all the way through the conduit back to the electric panel.

Looks like this
Pentair Amerlite Pool Light 78421100. Pentair 78421100. Pentair Amerlite.

- - - Updated - - -

Or stick it back in the niche and don't worry about for now. We almost never use our light because it attracts bugs to the pool.

It has the sticker on it with model # etc... It's a Hayward light. The wiring goes up to a junction box just outside the pool surround, and the wiring is still connected to that point.. Wiring also goes out of that to somewhere else, but not sure where yet.

If you replace it, LED lights don't attract bugs.
Light goes to j box, from their it could go to an outlet maybe even a GFCI outlet, or it goes to the switch. But really it could go anywhere. But the normal logical places are above. Use a tester and check for power at the jbox.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.