Grounding or sacrificial anode or both

sag365

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2015
Ft. Myers, FL
Is seems the general consensus is to install some kind of sacrificial anode (zinc) when using a SWG. I have already ordered a zinc plate that fits in the skimmer basket. It was $25 and is probably a good investment.

My question is, I have a small overflow drain in my skimmer that I could use to chase a copper ground through and outside onto an 8ft grounding rod. It would come over the overflow and dangle in the water. Is this a good idea? Will it accomplish the same thing as the sacrificial anode?

Thanks.

No that will not work. You MUST electrically connect your zinc sacrificial anode to the metal you want protected in the pool. Since all metal in contact with water in the pool is supposed to be connected to a bonding wire, you can connect your zine anode to the bonding wire.

Note that most SWCG pools do not use anodes and do not have serious corrosion problems. They definitely do occur, but it depends on the pool. If you have high-quality stainless steel and you have a curpo-nickel or titanium heat exchanger in your gas heater, then you are at much lower risk than if you have low-quality metals (including aluminum in contact with the water, say from an automatic pool cover) or a copper heat exchanger.

Hmm. Thank you.

I have no metal in the pool apart from the pool light. Both hand rails are out of the water and no ladder. Heat exchanger is titanium. Not sure what, if any, besides maybe springs in the check valves have metal in them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.