Reset button tripping on control box?

Jul 3, 2015
Forsyth, GA
Just purchased a home and inherited a spa that was already installed (in ground) with the components under the deck. The spa had not run for some time; so I spent some time cleaning it up, fired it up, and all works well. Spa heats up, jets work (they're weak, which I attribute to the previous homeowner installing a 1 hp motor for such a large tub), and blower works. I've got the heater set to automatic, to heat based on the built in thermostat, but I've noticed that the "reset" button trips after a while; the next day after getting it up and running, the water was hot, but when I went to press the blower and jets - nothing. the control box was down - I had to press the reset button on the control box to get everything up and running, which I'm guessing is like a GFCI? (however the main, stand-alone breaker does not trip).

The control box is a "Splash Spa A5500", I can't find any manual for it, and all components appear to be in good condition; no rust, corrosion, etc. All connections appear to be solid, and went in with a temp gun tracing all the wires, and noticed pretty much ambient temp at all of the connections except for 3 - the temp where the wire meets the connector is at about 125-130*f ; is that too high? Could that be tripping the reset button?

Also, anyone know where I can find a manual for that control box? It's as if it doesn't exist - I cant find any resource online for it.

If it is a red button, then it is a high limit switch which monitors water temp. Things that will cause it to trip are; dirty filter, calcified heater element, low flow issues, plugged suction, , etc. All these issues can cause overheated water. Of course, the high limit itself can be broken or out of calibration.

If it is a red button, then it is a high limit switch which monitors water temp. Things that will cause it to trip are; dirty filter, calcified heater element, low flow issues, plugged suction, , etc. All these issues can cause overheated water. Of course, the high limit itself can be broken or out of calibration.

Okay awesome thanks for the quick reply! Yes, it's a red button on the left top corner, and once I press it back in, the heater will kick back on (I currently have the heater in the thermostat mode rather than timer mode). Filter is good, it has fairly low flow anyways (1 hp pump for a fairly large tub w/ 9 jets), but I'll check the heater element itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.