Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

How to backwash

Hi Everyone:

I recently bought a home with a pool. I'm trying to backwash the sand filter, but can't figure out how to do it because the backwash return isn't the standard one I've seen in pictures and videos. I have attached a couple pictures for reference. The black pipe closest to the wall is the backwash pipe and measures 5 inches in diameter. The other black pipe (closest to the camera) is, I believe, the sewer line. When I try to backwash, water just comes shooting out of the black pipe closest to the wall.

Can anyone tell me if they are familiar with this setup and how to backwash the pool? Obviously, the typical little blue backwash hose isn't going to fit around that 5 inch black pipe.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25,000 gallons, plaster, sand filter, in-ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to backwash

Hard to say but it appears the black caps are just cleanouts to your sewer and backwash drain. If water is coming out of the first one on backwash then it tells me you may have a blockage. Open the cap and look down inside...does it look like the second cleanout feeds the first? Hopefully not...shouldn't tie backwash into septic. The backwash should dump out somewhere in your yard...try fishing a roti rooter down the cleanout to see if there is a blockage.
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to backwash

Quote Originally Posted by wrightk3 View Post
    Hi Everyone:

I recently bought a home with a pool. I'm trying to backwash the sand filter, but can't figure out how to do it because the backwash return isn't the standard one I've seen in pictures and videos. I have attached a couple pictures for reference. The black pipe closest to the wall is the backwash pipe and measures 5 inches in diameter. The other black pipe (closest to the camera) is, I believe, the sewer line. When I try to backwash, water just comes shooting out of the black pipe closest to the wall.

Can anyone tell me if they are familiar with this setup and how to backwash the pool? Obviously, the typical little blue backwash hose isn't going to fit around that 5 inch black pipe.

Thank you!
    That T-handle is the backwash valve. The waste line comes off the very bottom of it, like this:

A picture from the other angle would be helpful to see where that pipe runs. If it's just a hose barb and you have a blue vinyl backwash hose, then water the lawn with it and leave the sewer lines capped.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!