Green algae at the bottom of my above ground pool

Jul 3, 2015
Greensboro GA
We have been having a lot of rain and today I go check my pool and there's green algae and I haven't been able to keep my chemistry right due to all the rain I'm new to the pool and not sure what to do its a 24 ft above ground pool I think it's right at 14000 gallons of water if anyone can help me please do

Welcome to TFP!

Algae is caused by not having enough chlorine in the pool. Often chlorine levels are low due to high CYA levels from using dichlor or trichlor pucks, shock or powdered chlorine.

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and must be kept above minimum and at target at all times, Chlorine CYA Chart

How do you chlorinate your pool? What kind of test kit do you have?

Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Getting Started

I use the test strips and I know that's not the best way to test the pool I have ordered the kit that was recommended on here I shock my pool with the packs you buy it's not a liquid The readings I get from the strips are total chlorine is high fc is very low 0 ph low 0 alkalinity low 0 stabilizer very low 0 I'm really new to this its my first year having a pool I cleaned it everyday before this happened and I come on here and read all this and to be honest I have no clue what it means I have gotten my cool vac out and got some of the algae off the bottom and it hasn't came back in those spots but the rest is still green and I didnt know if I could get in the pool with the algae to clean it more

Jessie, you appear to be overwhelmed. But it doesn't have to be that way. You do need to understand a few simple basics though. I'll try to keep it brief:
- You must understand Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
- FC (free chlorine) is good; CC (combined chlorine - trash) is bad
- PH should be between 7.2 and 7.8
- TA will vary anywhere from 70 - 120; not real critical as long as your PH remains steady (PH and TA kind of work together)
- CYA (stabilizer) protects your FC (good chlorine) from the sun. Some CYA (i.e. 30 - 50) is good. Too much (over 80) is bad. Those pool store "bags-o-shock" tend to increase CYA (so do tablets), so don't use them.

Good pool water is made from good chemistry, not necessarily filtering, so when your test kit arrives, post those numbers right away so we can advise you better. Until your kit gets here, simply add about 1 gallon of bleach to your pool each evening after the sun goes down just to try and keep the green from getting any worse.

Make sure you read the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain because you will need to do that when your kit arrives. Keep in touch!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.