Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer Pressure Uneven/ Vacuum Suction is great

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer Pressure Uneven/ Vacuum Suction is great

Hello All,
    After cleaning up the pool chemistry last year- I am facing another challenge this year:

I cleaned up the pool filter and my suction vacuum is working great-I have two skimmers (one close to the pool equipment) and the other farther away. The skimmer that is close to the pool equipment is not working as hard as the other one and is not skimming very well.

What are my options or should I just go the snake route?

Thanks as always,

Amit
    Location: Dallas/TX, 18000 gallons IG pool, Cartridge type pool filter, Hayward XL pool vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer Pressure Uneven/ Vacuum Suction is great

That happens with my skimmers occasionally, usually the one farther from the pad for me. I turn the suction valve that controls drain/skimmers to all skimmers and put my hand over the opening on the skimmer that is working to force more suction through the other skimmer. That has worked pretty well for me so far.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That happens with my skimmers occasionally, usually the one farther from the pad for me. I turn the suction valve that controls drain/skimmers to all skimmers and put my hand over the opening on the skimmer that is working to force more suction through the other skimmer. That has worked pretty well for me so far.
    Thank you for the input-I will try this method and let you know-I think I may have an air pocket.
    Location: Dallas/TX, 18000 gallons IG pool, Cartridge type pool filter, Hayward XL pool vac

4. Back To Top    #4

Just cap the one with strong suction with something strong and unbreakable, like a plastic bowl or tub and see if the increased flow clears the line.

Long term, you could drop a diverter valve in the strong one which would reduce the flow to equalize things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!