Water chemistry all over the map

Apr 26, 2015
Houston Texas
I usually do a very good job of keeping everything well-balanced, but we have been getting downpours two and three times a week here in Houston for the last few months and it is just frustrating the devil out of me. My local pool store does a very good job of water analysis. I have been comparing their results with mine for the things I can test for for quite a while now and they are very accurate. I guess I really don't have any questions, this is more of a rant I guess. Maybe just looking for some company because you know what they say about misery, it loves it...lol

Hello! Well, it would be easy to give you some pointers on the info your posted, but unfortunately, we here at TFP don't place very much reliance on pool store testing. You seem to have good faith in their tests, but we've just seen too many horror stories to count. Do you have a Taylor K-2006 or TF-100 test kit? If you do and could post your own numbers, we would sure feel better trying to give you a way forward based on those rather than the pool store.

Hi :wave:

Not much to say regarding those numbers except that for most of your underlined numbers, the pool stores are typically very bad at measuring them (CYA, hardness, TA, etc).

I think if you got yourself a good test kit like a TF100 or Taylor K-2006, you'd find that doing your own water testing takes a lot of the variability out of the data since you are doing the tests and you don't have to bank on the gamble that the kids/person behind the counter is having a good day, is conscientious, etc, etc.

Lots of rain water certainly make pool care more challenging, but it rarely causes huge changes in water chemistry. As long as massive amounts of water are not flowing out of the pool, many of the chemical changes are transient dilution effects which will go away once the excess water evaporates back down to normal levels. Other chemical changes are easily corrected with some extra acid or chlorine additions.

The key to all of it though is doing your own tests and only adding that which is absolutely necessary. And, as you know, pool stores are not motivated by your best interests, they are motivated by their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those test numbers are kinda messy. Luckily, they are probably not accurate. :) If they were accurate we'd all be chomping at the bit to work on them.

I'll hit the dead horse one more time. Your pool life would be better with a TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.