New to Pool

Jul 3, 2015
Omaha/Ne
I have a new 16*32 vinyl liner sport pool 4ft-->6 ft-->4 ft I have calculate 13500-15000 gallons,

CL =.5
PH =7.8

CL- drop test =.5 (free Chlorine)
CCloramates =.0
total Cl =.5

ALK =110
CYA =20 the dot was never obscured, actually was always perfectly clear.....

I added ~ a gallon of liguid bleach and some stabilizer per the pool calculator

the water is clear but I cannot get my chlorine above .5 and the cya seems to never register.....AM I on the right track?

Todd

Hello Todd and welcome to TFP. We'd be glad to help you. First question we must ask you........(just to confirm) What kit was used for those results? We just have to ask that question to know. :) We're primarily concerned with your FC (free chlorine), CC (combined chlorine), CYA, PH, and TA at the moment. PH is riding the high-end, so watch that closely. Cloudy water may indicate the need for a "SLAM" (link below) which requires a PH at/about 7.2. So that may be a course of action soon.

If your FC was low to begin with, one gallon of bleach will go fast in the summer sun (with low CYA), especially if there was any algae already trying to grow. Increasing your CYA to 30 is the right thing to do. But we'd like to know what exactly you were using to test the chlorine level so we can give you a good way forward.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool.

How many ppm of CYA did you add?

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart.

If you targeted 30-40 ppm CYA then raise FC to 10 ppm and hold it there for a couple of days until it starts to hold. It is still safe to swim when FC is below shock level.

It is important to keep chlorine at target level at all times and never let FC drop below minimum to keep your pool properly sanitized and algae free.

I have a new 16*32 vinyl liner sport pool 4ft-->6 ft-->4 ft I have calculate 13500-15000 gallons,

CL =.5
PH =7.8

CL- drop test =.5 (free Chlorine)
CCloramates =.0
total Cl =.5

ALK =110
CYA =20 the dot was never obscured, actually was always perfectly clear.....

I added ~ a gallon of liguid bleach and some stabilizer per the pool calculator

the water is clear but I cannot get my chlorine above .5 and the cya seems to never register.....AM I on the right track?

Todd

Just remember, depending on when you added stabilizer, it will take a week to fully register on the test, so hold off testing it till then. In the meantime, go ahead and calculate your chlorine adjustments based on what PoolMath says your CYA SHOULD be when done

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.