Low pump pressure in filter mode only??

Jul 3, 2015
Caddo
Hello and thanks for letting me join!!

While searching google for answers I found this forum ... so glad I did. My above ground has served the family well for 4 yrs trouble free. This year I'm experiencing my first problem. In the filter mode I have very little return flow ..I can almost stop the pressure coming thru the return line with my hand ... in recirculate I have very strong flow ... waste mode very strong.

The only thing different this year is I took out the old sand, cleaned everything ... put in new sand. Perhaps I got something put back together inside the filter??

Hello and welcome to TFP! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about poor curculation. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Welcome! :wave:

What does the pressure gauge on the filter show. Not the return flow, the actual pressure in the tank.

What you're describing is the classic symptom of a dirty filter. If the gauge is reading higher than normal, that will confirm the diagnosis. It could be that the new sand filters so much better than the old that all the fine debris that's been accumulating for years has clogged it up. A backwash will fix that. Or it could be that you have an algae bloom starting that you're just staying even with and the filter is clogging with dead algae. In that case, backwashing and the Shock Level And Maintain process will fix it.

The other alternative is that you used the wrong kind of sand and it's packing too tight and stopping flow.

Did this problem begin right after the new sand, or did it work good for a while and then start?

So please answer the questions and if you could, post some test results and how you got them and tell us how the water looks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.