Pool Leaks, do I need a new liner?

Jul 3, 2015
almote
Hello all,
I am looking for some advise.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

My above ground pool kept loosing water last year. Some nights a few inches. When I opened it this spring it was empty. I have found a few small holes like this. Is this most likely the cause? Or should i be looking for something else? If it is, can I Fix it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00860.jpg
    DSC00860.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00861.jpg
    DSC00861.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00862.jpg
    DSC00862.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 73
Hello and welcome to TFP! Small holes as you are showing in the pics certainly can be patched. Your local pool store and/or on-line pool products typically have a wide variety of patch kits available. So the short answer is "yes" those can be repaired. The other question to consider is this ... are those holes/tears from inside the pool (i.e. kids playing) or are they from something underneath trying to penetrate from below? Did you put-down a padding (foam, tarp, Gorilla Pad) under the pool? If it's empty, now may be the time to consider that as preventive maintenance. Depends I guess on the age of the pool and how long you plan to keep it up I guess. In any case, I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. Welcome to TFP!

The is just fine gravel under the pool. so its some small rocks pushing up through the bottom. Im not sure how old the pool is, I just bought the house 2 summers ago. And so you think these tiny holes could cause so much leakage?

You certainly will lose some water through those holes. If you have several, they would add-up I suppose. Now if you suspected another leak source (i.e. skimmer, plumbing) there are tricks to try and isolate leaks in other locations where the plumbing may be hidden. Not sure on you set-up through or what you may have. TFP also gives advice on the "Bucket Test" to help pool owners determine if they have a leak or if the water loss is attributable to evaporation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.