Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach turned by water green

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach turned by water green

Hi everyone I just setup my pool yesterday (first timer first pool) I waited until this morning to do any testing before I added any chemicals ( I'm trying the bbb method ) this morning I added regular Clorox bleach as per the pool calculator and it Immediately turned the water green! I haven't added anything else yet I'm not sure What to do! Please help

I just setup a 18'x52" intex above ground pool. I am planning on using the bbb method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach turned by water green

Welcome to TFP!
    Was the water still clear? Sounds like you have metals in the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Was your pool filled with well water? As jblizzle said, metals might be the culprit.
    16'x32' Inground Vinyl, 21,100 gallons, Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T 3.1ft Sand Filter
    TFTestKits, Pool School, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Chlorine/CYA Chart, PoolMath

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes It's clear I know my house has copper piping? Could that be the problem? Is there any fixing it?

I just setup a 18'x52" intex above ground pool. I am planning on using the bbb method

5. Back To Top    #5

No it was filled with city water

6. Back To Top    #6

It was filled up with city water and Yes It's still clear. I have copper piping could that be the cause and if so any fixes to the problem?

7. Back To Top    #7

Usually copper piping in a home is not a problem unless you've got some corroding for some reason. Can you put your state in your location? Is Garden City in South Carolina? The water quality report for Myrtle Beach says the source is rivers so it's unlikely to have metals in that tap water. If it was from wells, then there could be iron in which case if you have a blue liner the yellow on blue can look green.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in Idaho

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, that makes a big difference. The Garden City (Idaho) Consumer Confidence Report 2014 says that your water comes from deep ground water wells and that your water contains 0.685 ppm copper which is pretty high. This document says "We also feed very low doses of polyphosphate to sequester minerals (Iron and Manganese) and keep your water clear." So it's possible you also have iron in that water.

So it sounds like you've got a lot of metal ions in your pool. The most direct way to deal with that is to filter the water when filling the pool or use trucked in water free of metals. With the metal already in your pool it's more complicated and expensive. You can use metal sequestrants to try and prevent coloring and staining but you need to replenish such sequestrants weekly. You could try and remove the metal from the water using a product such as CuLator but you'll need to contact the company if you go that route since it has not been straightforward enough with that product for us to recommend and walk people through its use (but the company has been responsive to special situations, but you need to contact them).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Have you added algaecides with copper in it? That is more likely than copper plumbing, most people have copper plumbing.
    Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach