Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH High, CYA Low...Good time for Trichlor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, Tx

PH High, CYA Low...Good time for Trichlor?

I understand all the potential problems with Trichlor, but if my cya is low and my ph is getting high would this be a good time to use some?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH High, CYA Low...Good time for Trichlor?

Trichlor does raise CYA and lower pH, so not a bad idea on the face of it.

However, is there some immediate issue with your pool that you are trying to address (something beyond CYA levels and pH)?

What is your CYA level, and how was it measured (i.e. test kit, pool store results, etc.)? If your CYA is really low, you will have trouble maintaining adequate free chlorine levels, especially if there is a lot of strong sun on the pool, which seems likely in Texas in July. Trichlor is not a very speedy way to add CYA...
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tallahassee, FL

There are much better ways to do what you want to do. Here is a link to what we use.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You REALLY need a good test kit if you do not have one. Look at my siggy to find the test kits we use and love!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'll take the contrary view. If you already own some trichlor pucks, use 'em up. If you have to go buy something, then buy CYA and Muriatic Acid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!