Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine cost in Ontario

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine cost in Ontario

I've been reading a lot of the cost comparison threads, and I feel like I may be doing something wrong with my calculations when I'm trying to figure out if my local pool store (Pioneer Pools in Kitchener, ON) is my best deal for chlorine.

I buy refillable 10L jugs (aprox 338 US oz) for $5.99/ea. I stop in at the store and they swap out my jugs with ones filled from a huge tank around back of the store that's labelled "Sodium Hypochlorite 12%". The deposit on the jugs was $5, but I started using these a few years ago and only have 2, so $10 over the amount of jugs I've swapped out over the years is pretty negligible. Since I have an SWG, I really only use this at the start of the season when I SLAM, and if I have to do a re-SLAM at any point during the season.

My cost calculation for 2 jugs (1 trip to the store) has been:

$11.98 / 676 oz / 0.12 (12% CL) = $0.148 per chlorine oz.

It seems like a simple calculation, but it's throwing me off that this comes out to be much cheaper than what most of the US members here are paying. And from experience with nearly everything else, Canada NEVER gets a deal vs our southern neighbours.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a method to test the true strength of this stuff with my TF100 kit?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    25k gal IG Vinyl, 18 x 36, installed 1992
    AquaRite T-15 SWG
    1HP Hayward SuperPump SP2607X10A, Hayward S220T sand filter
    250k BTU Teledyne Lars gas heater
    Zodiac G4, PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine cost in Ontario

My chlorine costs around $4 per gallon for 12.5% so that would be $4 / 128 fl.oz. / 0.125 = $0.25 so is more expensive than yours, but my chlorine isn't the least expensive because it's more expensive where I live. Basically, you ARE getting a very good price for chlorine, most likely because you are getting them in 10 liter jugs (2.64 gallons) and they are refilling directly from a large tank.

The easiest way to test for chlorine strength is to do a 1:10,000 dilution. So that is most easily done with two 1:100 dilutions so take 10 ml of chlorine added to 990 ml of clean water (preferably without chlorine or chloramines, but it's not a big deal to use tap water for this), then mix thoroughly, then repeat using 10 ml of this water in 990 ml of clean water. You have to make sure your containers are very clean for this test. When you measure the FC level after these two dilutions, then it will be the same as the Trade % of your chlorinating liquid so in your case you should be measuring 12 ppm FC after the two dilutions.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I get the same results: $11.98 / 2 jugs / 338 oz per jug / 0.12 = $0.148. The best I've found in Oklahoma is $0.189 when on sale.

Maybe since it's colder up north chlorine lasts longer increasing supply, as well as fewer pools and shorter seasons decreasing demand.

4. Back To Top    #4

I reached the same conclusion on the Chlorine price thread a while back. Liquid chlorine at Pioneer Pools is a good deal compared to most US prices. Also, in your calculation, you aren't adjusting for currency. When you do, it's an even better deal for us up here. Unusual for anything to be cheaper in Canada but there you go.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone for the confirmation. Could to know that there's at least one thing we get a better deal on.
    AquaRite T-15 SWG
    Zodiac G4, PoolSkim

6. Back To Top    #6

is your .148 Canadian $$ or US?

if Canadian, then that is .12 USD, a really good deal.

And .148 in the US would equal .19 Canadian based on today's exchange rate
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    is your .148 Canadian $$ or US?

if Canadian, then that is .12 USD, a really good deal.

And .148 in the US would equal .19 Canadian based on today's exchange rate

Yep, $.148 CAD.
    AquaRite T-15 SWG
    Zodiac G4, PoolSkim

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by rbroh View Post
    Thanks everyone for the confirmation. [Good] to know that there's at least one thing we get a better deal on.
    Cannabis makes two things, we're on a roll!
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator