Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie - question about chlorine tabs

1. Back To Top    #1
    Laurel, Md

Newbie - question about chlorine tabs

So if I decided to use regular Clorox bleach as chlorine in my pool do I still need to use the 3 inch tabs and the bags of "shock" weekly?
    -- 28,900 gallons, IG, plaster, DE - Pentair FNS Plus 60 with Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Installed 2009. Polaris 360. Gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Geneva, IL

Re: Newbie - question about chlorine tabs

I'm a newbie too!

The general idea of this method is to only put it what you need, when you need it, giving you safe easy to manage water at the lowest possible cost. So if you go with bleach, you don't need the tabs or the shock. Chlorine is chlorine and you just need to have the right about as matched up to your CYA levels.

Recommend you read up on the pool school and order a TFP or K2006 test kit. Once you have that, you can test the water and the folks here will help you build a plan to convert.
    Best Regards, Tom

18,000 IG, vinyl, TA-60 Triton II Sand filter w/DE, WFE-4 1 HP Pentair pump, Frog 5430 (off-line) feeder, Frog Mineral & Bac Pac (99% Trichoro-s-Triazinetrione), Frog BAM Algae @ open, gas heater, auto cover, k2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Long Beach, CA

All forms of chlorine do the same thing to the pool, what makes bleach the preferred choice is that it only adds a little bit of salt to the water and the others add CYA, aka stabilizer.

TFPC is a method of pool care that teaches you to learn the pool water chemistry, which is very simple once you get it, and add only the chemicals that are needed to keep the pool in balance with accurate testing.

Here are a few links to get you started:
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Test Kit Comparison
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

You are on the right track, lose the pucks and shock and use a more pure form of chlorine. One more link to check out, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach