Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Test with TF-100 on a new SWG Pool...Oh Lord, please don't let me muck up...

1. Back To Top    #1

First Test with TF-100 on a new SWG Pool...Oh Lord, please don't let me muck up...

Okay, so I got my Kit, did my testing, and here are my numbers
    FC - 5ppm
    CC - 1ppm
    TC - 6ppm
    TA - 70
    CYA - 0

CL - 5
    pH - 7.8
    With the K-1766 - 4400ppm, this does not correspond with my SWG generated number, which is saying 3400ppm, and I am getting no high salt alarms on the display, are the known to be off by that much, and if so, which number should I go by?

Do these numbers sound reasonable for a new pool, I trust the kit, just want to make sure I am doing and interpreting them correctly, I am eagerly awaiting everyone's responses and inputs!
    I did do the poolmath, it says to add 21 oz. of MA, 205 oz. of Baking Soda, 905 oz. of CC, 155 oz. of stabilizer, and to drain and refill 23% of the pool.
    18x36 Vinyl Liner In-Ground, 29,200 gallon, 2 h.p. Max-E-Pro P6E6G-208L Main Pump, Zodiac Pool Systems Booster Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR15 Chlorine Generator w/T-Cell 15, Polaris 280, TF-100 w/Speed Stir, Taylor KF-1766 Salt Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Test with TF-100 on a new SWG Pool...Oh Lord, please don't let me muck up..

FC - 5ppm-good
    CC - 1ppm-high-we will work on this
    TC - 6ppm
    TA - 70-could be just right
    CYA - 0-LOW-we will work on it

CL - 5???Is this the yellow test?
    pH - 7.8-kind of high-we will work on it

"I did do the poolmath, it says to add 21 oz. of MA=this will lower the PH so is good,

205 oz. of Baking Soda=not sure why it says this,

905 oz. of CC what is CC?,

155 oz. of stabilizeryes, this will get your CYA up. I would only add about half at a time. Wait a week to test.,

and to drain and refill 23% of the pool"??????????????I wonder why??? Nothing is that off! Hummm I would hold off on this.

I have a couple of links for you to read over.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool School - Recommended Levels

I am not up on SWG so I will let someone else talk about that.

I forgot to talk about the high CC. I would like you to do a OCLT. Here is the link for it.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First Test with TF-100 on a new SWG Pool...Oh Lord, please don't let me muck up..

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Straight out of Pool School---recommended levels for you. I have no idea why you'd drain and refill the pool?
    Play with PoolMath to get your levels into these recommended ranges.
    If your SWG is happy-------all is usually good with your salt level.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

My Taylor salt test seems to read about 800ppm higher than my SWG from the day it was installed. The SWG is all that matters, but the test can give you trends.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I think something in Pool Math got done wrong. No way you need to add 205 ozs of Baking Soda.
    Recheck what your entry for TA is and what your pH is and calculate that again.

I concur with jblizzle about the salt. as long as your swg is happy and making chlorine, then thats all that really matters.

Regarding the CC, sometimes that happens, seemingly out of the blue and for no good reason and is gone the next day. With brand new water, this doesnt really surprise me though.
    Is your water perfectly clear? If not, that can account for it.
    The next step to make sure, is to do a OCLT to rule out anything starting to grow.

Like Kimkats and others note, you need to get some CYA in the pool.
    &&&&&& - With no CYA, your FC of 5 is the equivelent of approximately 10% above SLAM level which is very high. Let it come down and target 2-3 until you get some CYA in there, then adjust your FC relative to the CYA addition.

pH is a tad on the high end and could tolerate lowring a bit, but is ok as long as it doesnt go higher.

Quote Originally Posted by clutchman001 View Post
    Okay, so I got my Kit, did my testing, and here are my numbers
    FC - 5ppm
    CC - 1ppm
    TC - 6ppm
    TA - 70
    CYA - 0

CL - 5
    pH - 7.8
    With the K-1766 - 4400ppm, this does not correspond with my SWG generated number, which is saying 3400ppm, and I am getting no high salt alarms on the display, are the known to be off by that much, and if so, which number should I go by?

Do these numbers sound reasonable for a new pool, I trust the kit, just want to make sure I am doing and interpreting them correctly, I am eagerly awaiting everyone's responses and inputs!
    I did do the poolmath, it says to add 21 oz. of MA, 205 oz. of Baking Soda, 905 oz. of CC, 155 oz. of stabilizer, and to drain and refill 23% of the pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

It might be the SALT that is causing the request to drain and fill water. If they put in 4400 and the target is set to 3400.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

I am back, I had to test the pool, shoot off the results, and thenow run to town and have just returned to check the responses. I think I am going to retest water a couple of more times to see that my results are repeatable, and then start making the required adjustments. The water is as clear as a bell, so I just want to be sureleased when I start adding. Good to hear that about the salt test jbizzle, I was holy moly I screwed that up.
    18x36 Vinyl Liner In-Ground, 29,200 gallon, 2 h.p. Max-E-Pro P6E6G-208L Main Pump, Zodiac Pool Systems Booster Pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR15 Chlorine Generator w/T-Cell 15, Polaris 280, TF-100 w/Speed Stir, Taylor KF-1766 Salt Test

8. Back To Top    #8

Good plan. Let us know what your next set of tests show.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit