Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Early Hour Pool Light Failure?

1. Back To Top    #1

Early Hour Pool Light Failure?

Our pool is brand new and only 2.5 years old. We have the standard 500W incandescent pool light in the deep end.

I went to turn it on last night for a swim and it came on briefly then just went off.

We rarely use the light, probably only has about 50-75 total hours of usage so far.

I checked all electrical issues and nothing wrong. GFI not tripped or tripping. Breaker is working just fine. I can hear the relay in the Hayward ProLogic box clicking on/off. There is voltage at the junction box. So it leaves me to think that the light has just burned out? But being rarely used is that reasonable?

I'm going to call our pool builder though and see what they can do to help us out. Whats the cost of a new bulb and gasket typically? It doesn't appear to hard to do myself and replace if its truly burned out.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Early Hour Pool Light Failure?

Check your warranty with the pool builder first as a lot of builds have 3 years warranties.

Bulbs and gaskets are cheap for the most part and are easy to replace.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like it burned out.
    Incandescent bulbs go for about 40-50ish online I think.
    Gaskets for about 20-25

Very easy DIY.
    Most of them have 1 screw at the top of the light ring. Take that out, and the ring and fixure comes out of teh niche.
    Put the fixtre on the deck (PB should have left enough cable coiled up in there to do this), take the fixure apart and replace the bulb.

To put the fixture back in, just reverse the process.

There are several YouTube videos on replacing bulbs that are useful to watch.

Hint. Replace the stock screw with a stainless steel socket head screw that uses a allen wrench. MUCH easier to then take the fixture out in future if you need to.
    The stock phillips head screw as a tendency to strip out.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought I spent about $10 for my in-laws bulb 2 years ago from my local pool store.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

You may also want to consider an LED replacement bulb. Costs way less to operate and will last longer than an incandescent. For more money, you could also have a colored LED bulb.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.