UV blocking cover?

Sep 11, 2014
Oviedo, FL
Hi forum,

We're going on vacation for a week coming up later this month. I'd like to get a cover that will block UV from the sun so my chlorine stays strong while we're gone. The pool is screen enclosed, and in Florida we don't necessarily need a 'blanket' to retain heat. So, I don't need anything specific for keeping out debris or to keep it warm.

The pool is freeform, so covering 100% will be tricky, does it still benefit me to cover most of it?

Dark in color?

Is there a material that is better at UV resistance? Would a tarp work (floated, perhaps, with pool noodles?), or is a Bubble wrap cover better for UV blocking?

Thanks in advanced!

I presume this is for preventing FC loss while you are gone? If so, I would suggest experimenting with Pucks, and getting the FC level up high just before you leave. Let the pucks provide FC while you are away, provided your Cya is now at a reasonable level. UV also takes care of CC buildup, so you don't want that going to the high side, and doing this would be cheaper and much easier than the hassle of a new cover. Especially if you won't need it much upon your return.

Just as an aside, blue bubble wrap solar covers all absorb UVa and UVb; I was testing a submersible spectroradiometer and 'discovered' this; none penetrates below the cover. Unfortunately, this property prevents the destruction of CC, and prolonged use also favours algal biofilm development on pool surfaces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.