Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White powder stuff at bottom of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

White powder stuff at bottom of pool

I have vacuumed, put algaecide, more shock nothing makes this go away. I have drained pool and am going to scrub it down tomorrow. I am afraid this stuff will come back, does any one know what this stuff is? When I drained the pool the dirt even got white. The water was hazy then the white powder appeared when the problem started. I am afraid this stuff is in the sand filter and connecting tubs I really need help. The pool stores had no idea of what the white powder was. I really need help....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White powder stuff at bottom of pool

Hi Mary, and welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us a little more about what type of pool you have, and if you know, what kind of filter is on the pool? Also, what else has been going on? Did the pool go Green with Algae, and hence the reason for the Algaecide addition? Sorry to hit you only with questions, but we can help you out once we get a little more information.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP Mary! Once we receive some more details from you as requested, you'll have help than you can shake a stick at. We can help you. Nice to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

It is a splash pool, 17x29 the pool water never went green. I did not drain pool water in winter. I put flock as recommended by pool company to get water clear. I was never able to get water clear after opening pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

I forgot to add the pool has a sand filter. the sand is one year old.

6. Back To Top    #6

20150703_090543.jpg
    this is a picture of the problem

- - - Updated - - -

white river.jpg this is what the drain water left

- - - Updated - - -

Pincushion photo removed- Patrick B.

7. Back To Top    #7

Could be dead algae. Sand filters sometimes have a hard time removing that.

Also, you might want to add your pool information to your signature to help us in the future. Please read this: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Could be dead algae. Sand filters sometimes have a hard time removing that.

Also, you might want to add your pool information to your signature to help us in the future. Please read this: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    I second the dead algae possibilty. My Hayward cartridge filter has a hard time removing algae. It just cycles back into the pool unless I use a filter bage to catch it.
    Intex 18ft dia. Ultraframe, 6500 gal. above ground Intex pool with Hayward C550 cartridge type filter and Intex Krystal Clear Ozone and saltwater system model ZS8110, Taylor K-2006 test Kit, Pool filter supplemented with Duda Diesel 1 micron filter bag
    Located in Cypress, Tx.

9. Back To Top    #9

Skimmer socks work wonders. I use cheap giant sized knee high nylons. 10 pair packs run less than $5 at Publics
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Did you vacuum to waste or through the filter? Was it cloudy before you found the white powder?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by gtty View Post
    I second the dead algae possibilty. My Hayward cartridge filter has a hard time removing algae. It just cycles back into the pool unless I use a filter bage to catch it.
    A cartridge filter should be all to capture algae fairly well (2x more effective than sand) so you might want to look for any defects in the filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

The water was cloudy and could not get it to clear, so I finally just drained pool. I scrubbed the pool yesterday. My next question is should I drain the sand and put new one in. As you can tell this is all new to me I have no idea if will get the problem back when I fill and start the pump. Your help is [B]greatly appreciated. I am a grandma trying to get the pool looking good and safe for grandkids.
    splash superpool, 12 x25 6700 g ,vinyl, Star Rite sand filter, test by pool store

13. Back To Top    #13

No need to change the sand. Maybe try this process, Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by marymarm View Post
    The water was cloudy and could not get it to clear, so I finally just drained pool. I scrubbed the pool yesterday. My next question is should I drain the sand and put new one in. As you can tell this is all new to me I have no idea if will get the problem back when I fill and start the pump. Your help is [B]greatly appreciated. I am a grandma trying to get the pool looking good and safe for grandkids.
    Next time put a little DE into your filter and it should help clear out the dead algae.
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks all, I am going to fill and set up pool for kids!
    splash superpool, 12 x25 6700 g ,vinyl, Star Rite sand filter, test by pool store

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Both cartridge filters and sand filter become better filters as they get dirty. Have some type of flocking agent to help bring the small particles together helps. Cleaning or backwashing a sand and cartridge filter continuously prevents it from getting dirty and becoming a better filter. Let it rise 8-10 lbs before cleaning.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    Both cartridge filters and sand filter become better filters as they get dirty. Have some type of flocking agent to help bring the small particles together helps. Cleaning or backwashing a sand and cartridge filter continuously prevents it from getting dirty and becoming a better filter. Let it rise 8-10 lbs before cleaning.
    Most AG pumps tend to have low flat head curves so will never reach a 8-10 PSI rise and if you try to reach that pressure rise, the pump's flow rate may reduce so much that there is very little water being filtered. A 10 PSI rise, is an EXTRA 23' of head above the operating point. Some high head pumps can handle that, but many other's cannot.

For this reason, the forum team has decide not to recommend a one size fits all pressure rise for filters that manufactures have unwisely decided to follow. Instead, we recommend a max 25% PSI rise from clean pressure when determining when to clean a filter. This way it is proportional to the clean filter operating point and will avoid severely restricting a pump.
    Mark

18. Back To Top    #18

Just say no to flocking agent.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach