The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

Thank you!
@1:00pm FC=18, CC=1.5
Oops, got the FC too high. Husband wants to take a dip, will he fry when he hits the water??
Seriously, do I remember correctly, anything under SLAM level (16) is ok to swim? If it dips just below 16 and he swims, can I just raise it right after? Or should he stay out completely today?

I just thought I'd link THIS POST by @chemgeek regarding ammonia, CYA and FC consumption. Turns out that the ammonia test kits you get for aquariums only give you a minimum bound of the ammonia & nitrogenous compounds that are likely present from the breakdown of CYA. It can take up to 8-10X the amount of ammonia in FC to break it down if you were dealing with purely ammonia. Since there's quite a lot of other partially broken down CYA products possible, the actual FC needed can be quite a bit higher.

Chemgeek also refers to doing a small scale bucket test to see how much actual FC it takes to break down a suspected ammonia problem. I think that's a GREAT idea as it gives you a more exact determination of what it's going to take.

In any event, you conquered the ammonia and it sounds like your pool is looking a lot better. Perhaps if your husband read through this thread, he might see that TFP offers very practical, pool owner-centered advice. It advice that has the pool owners interests in mind unlike pool stores that only have their bottom lines to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakemi!
What? You mean the FC has not gone to zero?
Its OK to swim as along as FC is at SLAM or lower AND, you can see the bottom of the pool.

It seems you are finally holding chlorine. But one more time, I want to make sure.
Test and bring FC to SLAM
test again 10 minutes later. IF fC is 8 or above, the add FC to 16
Then start with normal SLAM intervals for testing and raising FC every 2 hours.

Thank you!
@1:00pm FC=18, CC=1.5
Oops, got the FC too high. Husband wants to take a dip, will he fry when he hits the water??
Seriously, do I remember correctly, anything under SLAM level (16) is ok to swim? If it dips just below 16 and he swims, can I just raise it right after? Or should he stay out completely today?

If you still see algae, then I would not worry about a OCLT.
Once the water is crystal clear, CC are less than .5 or less, then at that time do the OCLT

If you havent been doing it yet, then also start brushing ALL of the algae. Algae can grow a film on it that helps protect it from chlorine.
Brushing all of the sides and bottom gets rid of that film and allows the chlorine to kill it faster.

Very strange thing happened. I think my husband got a little motivated so he cleaned out the filters(they weren't too dirty, he just did it about a month ago) and all the filter parts of the robot. I also made him remove the 2 1/2 chlorine tablets in the tube. Then when we started the pump up, a huge white "cloud" shot out into the pool from the main return or where the robot connects to the pool, they're so close we couldn't tell where the "cloud" was coming from. It spread across the pool and stayed for a good 20 minutes. I made him get out of the pool. Its starting to dissipate. Can you tell me what happened?
Back to SLAM: after his dip @ 3:30pm FC=9.5, CC=1.0 amonia 0
added 2 jugs clorox
@4pm FC = 14.5, CC=1.0
added 80 oz instead of 58 (per pool math)
Is a little foaming ok?

Oh yes, I have been brushing....twice daily since I started this project a week before Father's Day. Great bonus: I'm building up my arms! When I brush I see a little poof, is that algae? Can't be sure what is algae and what is a stain?

You had trichlor tablets in the chlorinator while you were SLAMing? That's definitely not protocol Not dangerous or anything but definitely not protocol.

Can you remeasure your CYA again? It would be good to know if you've had an increase.

Yeah I know, but my husband said there weren't any in there and on a hunch I asked him to open it up when we cleaned the filters and voila!
CYA is 40

- - - Updated - - -

Just plain Clorox bleach, nothing fancy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is so awesome, been gone today (painting pool plumbing :) ) I am very happy you kept it up and got over the ammonia... You are doing great...

Keep it up and your pool will sparkle :)

The first time I bought GV bleach it was 8.25%, but for some reason I'm thinking I saw that GV bleach is now 6.25% ( I might be wrong, I'll check next time I'm at Walmart) I think I remember there was a White Cloud brand that is 8.25%, and Clorox but all others were 6.25% or not labeled at all.

I forgot about SOME of the GV being 6%. Just make sure to check the %. If it is not listed you and I both know it is not worth the time to load it in the cart LOL

No smells, no easy pour, nothing but plain bleach.

You are already learning so much!

Kim

when you finally finish up that slam, and keep the pool per the tfp method, he wont have a choice but to become a believer! The pool will be so sparkly and clean, and no more problems, any more.

And much cheaper to operate on a seasonal basis, ie, no more pool store magic potions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.