The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

Phot Bucket is a web based photo sharing website.
Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing
You will need to create a username and password.
Photobucket has a download button and you click the button, then select the pics you want to download to photo bucket.

The easiest way to go between TFP and Photobucket, is to have 2 tabs open on your browser, then just click between the tabs to get back and forth quickly.

Here is a tutorial
Posting Photo's Tutorial

Sorry, don't know what a photo bucket is.....need step by step.
Anyway, sorry for the delay, got our 2 year old grandson unexpectedly and he loves to shadow me, can't get anything done by the pool with him around.
Already got the amonia test, probably not very accurate but it tested 3.0 (said "harmful level").
At 4:30pm FC=.5, CC=2.0
I purchased 20 121oz jugs of Clorox, haven't done anything yet because my husband does not believe anything further can be done about the algae stains (I tried to explain to him that I want to kill the algae so it doesn't come creeping back as it has been, he thinks shock will do it....even though it hasn't in the past) He thinks we've spent too much on Clorox (about 55 total, 32 used, 20 purchased today) for a lost cause, he says the stains will never go away. Anyway, he says this is IT, no more buying clorox so whatever I do, it HAS to work. So PLEASE give me your best advise, ask me whatever info you need, and thank you!!!

Sorry, don't know what a photo bucket is.....need step by step.
Anyway, sorry for the delay, got our 2 year old grandson unexpectedly and he loves to shadow me, can't get anything done by the pool with him around.
Already got the amonia test, probably not very accurate but it tested 3.0 (said "harmful level").
At 4:30pm FC=.5, CC=2.0
I purchased 20 121oz jugs of Clorox, haven't done anything yet because my husband does not believe anything further can be done about the algae stains (I tried to explain to him that I want to kill the algae so it doesn't come creeping back as it has been, he thinks shock will do it....even though it hasn't in the past) He thinks we've spent too much on Clorox (about 55 total, 32 used, 20 purchased today) for a lost cause, he says the stains will never go away. Anyway, he says this is IT, no more buying clorox so whatever I do, it HAS to work. So PLEASE give me your best advise, ask me whatever info you need, and thank you!!!

dakemi,

You and your husband need to talk about this... There are many ways to take care of your pool, the pool store way or our way...

1. Both way's cost the same amount....
2. with chem's from the pool store you will need to empty the water every 1 to 4 years because CYA will raise to the point you will no longer have a safe pool. (where you are now, and where the pool store got you)
3. Bleach/chlorine will not add anything extra, you will have to balance it yourself (what your doing now with the test kit)
4. Bleach is more work, you will need to test every day or (2 once you get a good pool going :)) and add bleach nightly to a safe level after you test

one way or the other, you have ammonia in your pool from all the CYA converting and being eaten by bacteria. it will take alot of bleach to get rid of the ammonia, sorry we do not know how much.

You will have to do 1 of the following but NOT BOTH

add bleach until your FC starts going up to SLAM level and keep it at SLAM level until you pass SLAM.
or
empty your pool and start over with the pool store. if you decide to go this route, please be careful when emptying, you need to know the water level around your pool, it can pop out of the ground if you have a high water table.

while we do not recommend the pool store route, the CYA/chlorine chart still needs to be followed for a safe pool

all these pools are using bleach to keep clean

you can also have a clear pool, we can get you there, both of you have to want this.......

My husband says the water is safe to swim in and all this chlorox is absurd.
He also said the stains will never come out. He got in there with a wire brush and scraped it 10 min. and it still would not come out. He says the stains are imbedded in the plaster and will not come out. (I will add that I've notices that some brushes off each time I brush) What do you all say?
He says the pool was just fine after the shocked it and put the chlorine tablets in the dispenser.
He truly believes this. I believe something is wrong with the water which is making it lose chlorine at such a rapid rate.
Advise/replies/suggestions? I welcome it.

My husband says the water is safe to swim in and all this chlorox is absurd.
He also said the stains will never come out. He got in there with a wire brush and scraped it 10 min. and it still would not come out. He says the stains are imbedded in the plaster and will not come out. (I will add that I've notices that some brushes off each time I brush) What do you all say?
He says the pool was just fine after the shocked it and put the chlorine tablets in the dispenser.
He truly believes this. I believe something is wrong with the water which is making it lose chlorine at such a rapid rate.
Advise/replies/suggestions? I welcome it.

IT IS NOT SAFE!!!!

the FC is not enough to keep the bacteria and algae out of your pool..... You can't even get to the recommended FC level of 5 let alone a shock/SLAM level of 16 with your CYA level of 40 and ammonia... and every time you add a bag of shock or a tab your taking the CYA higher than it is now.. if there are tabs in it now your CYA is probably 50 now and you would need a FC level of 6 and a shock/SLAM level of 20 FC

none of this matters if you both do not want a clear pool we can not do it for you.

The science says that your pool water is NOT balanced so is NOT safe! That is the long and short of it.

The stains do NOT matter anymore. It is the out of balance water that is causing the problems.

Super Chlorinating

The second part will be you.

Ammonia in Pool Water - YouTube

A video to show him

I am sorry that you are stuck between your husband and the ammonia in your pool :(

Kim

I wish I could offer some advice, if you could get him to get on here and read thru the things on this site, I would think he would understand what we and you are trying to do.

Cowboycasey is exactly right, you either have to do the TFP way or the pool store way. There is NO way the two will work hand in hand. Best of luck, I hope he comes around.

He is free to get on here and ask us questions about this process, nad the folks will try to make him understand the science behind this method.

Also while I'm here, I need to know something so I'll understand better. She is holding CYA, but yet the test kit shows ammonia ? So can you have ammonia that won't consume CYA or did I miss something ?:confused:

I think she has "broke" the ammonia so she is holding FC and CYA. She is on the down side of it. If only she can finish she will never have to go through this again.

Kim

Thank you Kim, I thought that MIGHT be what it was, but I don't feel confident enough to say it out loud yet :rolleyes:. That's why I wish she could get her husband on board. She's got past the big hurdle and I think the Slam would really start rolling now ! As far as the stains on her plaster, aren't there numerous posts about removing different kinds of stains from all surfaces on here ?

Thank you all!! Here's what I'm going to do: stick with the plan.
At 7am FC=.5, CC=.5, amonia 3
@8:15am added 5 jugs of clorox
@8:30 am FC=1.5, CC=3.0 added 5 more jugs
@8:50 am FC=2, CC=4 slight foam on pool surface added 5 more jugs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Good for you, I can assure you your in great hands AND it will work ! If you follow what Kimkats (and cowboycasey, and Divindave) tell you to do exactly, you will have a CLEAN and SPARKLING pool. I'll step aside and watch, Good luck AND don't give up :goodjob:

Keep doing this every 10 minutes until your FC is not lower than 8.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I'm so glad you're able to follow the advice here. I really hope your husband will come on board. It's hard to fix a problem if someone doesn't believe one exists. People can be very stubborn when it comes to "the way we've always done it" especially if they're wary of advice from the internet.

We really do know what we're doing. There is factual science behind the TFP method.

I just want to add something as far as "the amount of clorox" going in to the pool. (for the hubby)

#1, clorox aka bleach aka chlorine *is* chlorine. If you were to throw in a bunch of powdered shock it would still be chlorine, it would just have a bunch of extra stuff added to it. Bleach is closer to 'pure'. (in the way that it doesn't add other ingredients into the mix) Often times the significant other gets worried because they can't get past the label that says "bleach". Yet the same person would be willing to dump a 50lb bucket of powdered "shock" into the pool because it says "for pools" on the label and they got it from the pool store. Chlorine is chlorine. It's the other additives that make it powdered or solid puck form. Bleach doesn't have the extras added to it (that are necessary to get chlorine into a solid form) just water and a small amount of salt.

#2 Even if you dumped an entire truck load of bleach into your pool...if you tested 30 minutes later and you're showing 1FC...it's gone. You don't have a pool "full of bleach" because it's been consumed/used up. People will worry sometimes thinking "With all that bleach/chlorine I added into the pool I must have a bleach bath in there. How can that be safe?" That is why we test and add and retest to make sure we're hitting our target. Chlorine is consumable. It doesn't just build up if there is something in the pool that needs to be broken down. You can be assured that as soon as that ammonia is taken care of your consumption will go way down and when you add your chlorine it will start to hold. (again, for the hubby) Once that starts to happen we're not going to have you dumping 60 gallons of bleach in your pool and having 349873FC of chlorine. You'll stop adding so much. You'll be adding a little here and there. You'll have a safe amount of chlorine in your water to keep it sanitized and safe for swimming and to keep any algae from forming. You'll know it's a safe amount because you'll test it yourself and the FAS/DPD test doesn't lie.

Ammonia is a pain in the neck to deal with because it requires so much chlorine but every time you put some chlorine in it is immediately cancelling out some of that ammonia and eventually you'll get it under control. Lots of people have done it and been successful. It just takes a lot of chlorine to get there. It's not a never ending battle. There is an end and it's going to be a much simpler walk back down that mountain once you break that ammonia down.

Hopefully hubby will become interested in the science behind the TFP method and not only insist on "the way we've always done it". It's so much easier to take care of a pool when you actually understand some of what is going on with the water and chemicals. :)

If he's interested at all, have your husband come here and ask questions. TFP is always happy to explain what we do and why we do it. It can be explained on a simple level or if someone wants more technical answers it can also be explained in a very technical way with the scientific studies and proof to back it up. (I'm not personally on that level but there are many here who are!)

I'm glad you found us. :)

Thank you for that info, made me laugh the 349873FC part:p. Hubby is a wonderful person, just not a scientist at heart and he marries me a super nerd, go figure. So I don't think he'll be on board until he sees results. So, back to the testing (went out to breakfast with the family).
@10:45am FC=1.0, CC=2.0, amonia <.5 Looks like I'm gaining on the amonia so I dumped in 5 more jugs :D

Hooray!!! Thank you thank you thank you ALL!! I think we're making progress!! Stains even look much fainter.
@11:45am FC=11!! CC=1, amonia=<.25
The FAS/DPD was very dark pink for the first time!!!!!
Pool math called for 192 oz but I added 2 more jugs to allow for amonia and sun (very hot sunny day here in Reno).

Should I keep testing every 15 min?

Great to hear! If your FC loss is LESS than 50% in 10 minutes, then you can assume you are over the "ammonia hump" and resume normal SLAM FC levels. Continue with normal SLAM procedures. Test consistently enough throughout the day to make sure it stays at the FC SLAM level, but you shouldn't have to do it every 10 minutes anymore like you did with the ammonia scare. Keep up the great work!

SWEET! You are beating it!:whip: I would test every 15 mins 2 more times to make sure the FC is holding. Once you see that it IS holding for those two test you can drop back to 30 mins then 1 hour as you see the FC holding.Keep adding any hour until you can get to 3 hours without any huge drops.

I am SO happy for you!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.