Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

1. Back To Top    #1

The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

I was on a different heading until the forum "crash" so i got back on this heading, thought it was more appropriate.
    So to pick up where I left off, per TFP advice, I am trying to maintain an FC of 10 until I can SLAM the pool after the July 4th BBQ. Unfortunately I don't think i'm testing FAS/DPD correctly. I read JasonLoion's extended test thread and tried to drop and swirl simultaneously but I still don't get how to read the results. I see no pink after the first drop if I keep swirling but if I let it sit for 10 seconds or so a pink "haze" seems to appear. JasonLion says to drop one second or so apart but I do that drops 2,3,4,5,6 etc seem the same. I would say that means I only have .5 FC but I had just put 161 ounces of chlorine an hour prior and according to pool math it should have raised the FC from6 to 10 (I thought I had a 6 FC but I think I misread the test results)
    Could I be color blind to pink? Also, the water sample remains cloudy but I understand that's permissable. HELP!!! I'm a moron!!!!
    25,500 gal IG plaster 18'X35' over 4 years old. Pentair MiniMax NT w/ C320 cartridge filter, TF-100 test kit. Cleaning robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The husband finally let me take over and I don't want to blow it!!

Sounds like you are doing it correctly and the FC is near zero. Did you do the CC portion of the test?

Something must be consuming the FC quickly. What is your CYA?

What size water sample are you using and how much powder?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

To help verify you are doing the test correctly, have you watched this video?

4. Back To Top    #4

You dont mention the powder. Where is the powder?

PUt 10ml of water in the tube, and swirl. If you have chlorine, the water will turn pink/ red. The more FC you have, the redder it will be.
    Then add drops, one drop at a time until it turns clear. Multiply drops by .5, and that is your FC.

If the water is no longer pink after 1 drop, then you have 1 or less FC, as you suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by dakemi View Post
    I was on a different heading until the forum "crash" so i got back on this heading, thought it was more appropriate.
    So to pick up where I left off, per TFP advice, I am trying to maintain an FC of 10 until I can SLAM the pool after the July 4th BBQ. Unfortunately I don't think i'm testing FAS/DPD correctly. I read JasonLoion's extended test thread and tried to drop and swirl simultaneously but I still don't get how to read the results. I see no pink after the first drop if I keep swirling but if I let it sit for 10 seconds or so a pink "haze" seems to appear. JasonLion says to drop one second or so apart but I do that drops 2,3,4,5,6 etc seem the same. I would say that means I only have .5 FC but I had just put 161 ounces of chlorine an hour prior and according to pool math it should have raised the FC from6 to 10 (I thought I had a 6 FC but I think I misread the test results)
    Could I be color blind to pink? Also, the water sample remains cloudy but I understand that's permissable. HELP!!! I'm a moron!!!!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good morning and welcome back! I remember your first post before the web problems. Nice to see you have the TF-100. So first of all let me say, don't be so hard on yourself. . We'll help you. After you've watched the video above, please post the following numbers for us: (FC, CC, CYA, PH, TA, and CH). We'll help you through the entire process.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Good morning, and thank you for all the replies! You refered to a vieo? Did you post a link on your reply because I didn't see one, or if not, where do I go to see it?

Answers to above questions:
    water sample size is 10 ml
    powder is heaping
    powder is first, does not turn dark pink so I guess FC is really low
    FC=1.5
    CC=.5
    CYA=40
    pH=6.8-7.2 closer to 6.8
    TA=90
    CH=750
    25,500 gal IG plaster 18'X35' over 4 years old. Pentair MiniMax NT w/ C320 cartridge filter, TF-100 test kit. Cleaning robot

7. Back To Top    #7

there are videos to all of the TF100 tests at TFTestkits.net, and also on YouTube
    tf100 test kit - YouTube
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you Leebo, when I refreshed the page I saw the video. I watched and I'm doing exactly the same so I guess I have 1.5 FC no matter how much chlorine I add. But I do have a lot of algae staining so am I correct in assuming that that is whats causing the continuous low FC reading? Why would the CC be so low (.5), I started at 2.5 last week.
    Just keep adding chlorine? I put in #s in pool math and get 358 oz. Sound right?

- - - Updated - - -

Correct that, 326 oz

9. Back To Top    #9

Remember you can use the yellow oto colorblock test to confirm your fc readings up to 5. If its darker yellow than the 5 color then you know its more than 5
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Actually I did to the daily (OTO) test and it also registered only a little darker than 1, I think I'll come out of denial now and accept that I have low FC (lol).

BTW, my husband bet me that we can't get rid of the algae stains unless we drain the pool (pool store lady and know it all neighbor who doesn't have a pool told him so) but from what I'm reading draining the pool is a solution for very high CYA and should not be done in an area of low water table (that's us in Reno, NV). So is he right that we can't get rid of the stains?
    I've been brushing daily and for a while I thought I saw improvement but its kinda leveled out. Is that the best I can get it? (FYI the pool started out green and very poor visibility and now its blue and much clearer)

11. Back To Top    #11

HELP!! Trying to get FC to 10 but can't get over 2!! I think I'm testing correctly, watched the video and reread instructions carefully, but here are my results, can this be correct??
    On 7/3@1:30 pm FC=.5, CC=2.0 added 363 oz Clorox
    On 7/3@6:00 pm FC=1.0, CC=3.5 added 363 oz Clorox
    On 7/3@9:00 pm FC=3.0, CC=1.0 added 363 oz Clorox

On 7/4@6:00 am FC=2.0, CC=.5 added 363 oz Clorox
    On 7/4@7:00 an FC= 1.5 CC= 2.5 ???? This is the result I'm confused about. Is that possible? should I retest? How do I get FC to 10? Much less 16 starting tonight? I will be adding 5+ jugs of bleach multiple times a day. Is that right? My husband is getting concerned about all the Clorox going into the pool.
    HELP!!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Can you post a picture of the pool and the stains?
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

how do I upload pics?

14. Back To Top    #14

When posting there is a little tree button on the tools above where you type. You can link from other photo sharing sites

- - - Updated - - -

With patience and some diligence we can beat this problem. Your chlorine isn't going up because something in that water is consuming it. Eventually it will go up and stay up but you have to keep up on testing and adding as needed. Keep your filter running all the time and brush brush brush
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

15. Back To Top    #15

Pics in order: shallow end botttom (kiddie pool), shallow end (3'), from diving board (8') from deep end. Sorry, cloudy day and lots of glare.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry, think I blew it trying to post the pics. I guess I submitted it twice and now it wont let me upload.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by dakemi View Post
    HELP!! Trying to get FC to 10 but can't get over 2!! I think I'm testing correctly, watched the video and reread instructions carefully, but here are my results, can this be correct??
    On 7/3@1:30 pm FC=.5, CC=2.0 added 363 oz Clorox
    On 7/3@6:00 pm FC=1.0, CC=3.5 added 363 oz Clorox
    On 7/3@9:00 pm FC=3.0, CC=1.0 added 363 oz Clorox

On 7/4@6:00 am FC=2.0, CC=.5 added 363 oz Clorox
    On 7/4@7:00 an FC= 1.5 CC= 2.5 ???? This is the result I'm confused about. Is that possible? should I retest? How do I get FC to 10? Much less 16 starting tonight? I will be adding 5+ jugs of bleach multiple times a day. Is that right? My husband is getting concerned about all the Clorox going into the pool.
    HELP!!!!
    Everyone, I think her CYA has turned to ammonia, What does everyone think...

If you have ammonia it will take a lot of bleach until it starts holding chlorine.. If this is the case you can go to a pet store that sells fishies and get an ammonia test to confirm.. the best way everyone has been doing it is test every hour and add bleach... if your FC only goes to 2 in an hour add the amount to get it to you SLAM level..

you are starting to see CC so that is good, it will go up before it startes holding FC and the the CC will go down..
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

18. Back To Top    #18

Your not at a bad starting point. Don't fear the bleach it's not going to harm anyone if it's below slam level. A jug of bleach is mostly water, the chlorine gets used up quickly.

19. Back To Top    #19

If I have an amonia problem, is there a way to eliminate that? Or just add bleach?
    Thank you for your replies!

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

bleach is still the answer, just much more than normal you will know when its gone, your FC will start going up and you will be able to take it to SLAM level
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

Page 1 of 26 123411 ... LastLast