Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What bleach to get?

1. Back To Top    #1

What bleach to get?

HI,

I am new to using bleach and wanted to switch to using bleach rather than shocking. I have read on the forum that bleach is better sine it does not add other stuff to the pool. I went to Walmart today and got the great value bleach which is 8.25% but it also states other ingredients as 91% which I have no idea about. Would it be fine to use this one? Can someone with more experience please post a link to the bleach that they have been using. Thank you for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What bleach to get?

Bleach and chlorinating liquid are the same except for concentration so if you find chlorinating liquid at a better price then that is also fine to use. You can roughly compare them by dividing the concentration (%) by the number of fluid ounces and choose the one that is less expensive.

For bleach, you want to get unscented regular (but may be "concentrated") bleach that is not splash-less, outdoor, etc. The Great Value bleach at Walmart that is 8.25% is good to use and competes (at a lower price) with Clorox bleach. The 91% is just water and salt so nothing to worry about.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much

4. Back To Top    #4

Just to add my experience as a newbie in the past week:

Walmart Great Value - 8.25% - $2.59/121 oz is what I used to SLAM and it worked great
    Harris Teeter 101 Bleach - 3 - 5% - $1.89/121 oz - I had to find the MSDS sheet on this stuff as the concentration isn't listed anywhere on the bottle. It's significantly weaker and a waste of $
    Chlorox - 6% - My experience is different than chem geek's in that the bottle of plain Chlorox bleach is 6% not 8.25%, so diligently check the concentrate if you use Chlorox name brand as evidently it can vary
    18' x 38' Pool, 3' to 8' Depth
    Vinyl Liner
    SWG
    Variable Speed Pump
    Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In your area, you can use the Bravo brand at HEB as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Just to add my experience as a newbie in the past week:

Walmart Great Value - 8.25% - $2.59/121 oz is what I used to SLAM and it worked great
    Does the Great Value state the percentage on the bottle?
    I have great value at my walmart here in Canada and the percentages are not listed
    16ft x 48in Intex Ultra frame Pool
    1500 GPH krystal clear pump

Located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

7. Back To Top    #7

If it doesn't state 8.25% I don't buy it
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Defgufman View Post
    If it doesn't state 8.25% I don't buy it
    What he said, for sure
    25K gal vinyl liner built 2012, 18x36 IG, deep end, Pentair 1.5 HP single speed pump, Pentair Tagelus 325lb sand filter, Kreepy Krauly Legend auto cleaner, inline chlorinator, one skimmer basket, 2 main drains, 4 return jets, 2 water sprinklers, newly acquired Taylor K-2006, sample sizer and speed stir.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

In Canada they are not required to place the % on the bottle. So the normal rules don't apply. We found this out a few weeks ago.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by cancousins View Post
    I have great value at my walmart here in Canada and the percentages are not listed
    Well in Canada, I haven't tried this one yet, but this chlorine at Canadian tire is what I have my eye on. Listed on the website details as 10.8%

Aquarius Liquid Chlorine, 5 L | Canadian Tire
    Round Above ground Cedar pool 18ft (approximately 30,000L = 8000 gallons), Hayward 2 speed 1.5HP pump, Hayward XStream Cartridge filter, Hayward Titanium HP50B 55,000 BTU heat pump, Hayward offline chlorinator, Big dipper ozonator.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Watch the Manufacture dates. Other than that, Canadian Tire is your best bet, from what I have read here.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
    Chlorox - 6% - My experience is different than chem geek's in that the bottle of plain Chlorox bleach is 6% not 8.25%, so diligently check the concentrate if you use Chlorox name brand as evidently it can vary
    If this is in the U.S. and it says 8.25% on the bottle but your measurements show it to be lower, then tell your store that and call Clorox because it should not be that low. In Canada they don't list the percentages and the Clorox may be lower in concentration.

As shown in the chart in this post, even 8.25% bleach will break down over time especially at higher temperatures. However, for 8.25% bleach to get to 6%, it would need to be at 75F for nearly 6 months, though at 87F for only 2 months.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

13. Back To Top    #13

Our local Walmart has HTH liquid (128oz @ 10%) for $3.25, actually 2 jugs for $6.50.
    Some of the bleaches are 121oz @ 8 1/2%.
    So you need to do a little math to find the best value.
    I'd have to find 121 oz 8.5% for less than $2.60 to beat the HTH price.

128 x .01 = 12.8 oz of actual chlorine
    121 x .085 =10.3 oz of actual chlorine
    10.3 / 12.8 = .80
    $3.25 x .80 =$2.61
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes...here in the states it says 8% on the bottle...do not get the great value cleaning bleach...it is only 6% and more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    If this is in the U.S. and it says 8.25% on the bottle but your measurements show it to be lower, then tell your store that and call Clorox because it should not be that low. In Canada they don't list the percentages and the Clorox may be lower in concentration.

As shown in the chart in this post, even 8.25% bleach will break down over time especially at higher temperatures. However, for 8.25% bleach to get to 6%, it would need to be at 75F for nearly 6 months, though at 87F for only 2 months.
    It says 6% on the bottle of clorox brand bleach we had handy in our laundry room. So what I was reminding the op is that just because it says clorox don't assume it's 8%.

15. Back To Top    #15

The Clorox 6% is probably older. Clorox switched from 6% to 8.25% in 2012/2013 as noted in this blog post and this Clorox announcement. Your point is well taken that one should look at the concentration specified on the label and not assume.

By the way, if the bleach you have in your laundry room is 2 years old, then the original 6.15% at room temperature (72F) would now be only 3.95%.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ya, unfortunately it seems different here in Canada, so I got 10.8% liquid chlorine in the 5 L jugs at a great price(for here anyways), $3.99
    16ft x 48in Intex Ultra frame Pool
    1500 GPH krystal clear pump

Located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

17. Back To Top    #17

Ya, unfortunately it seems different here in Canada, so I got 10.8% liquid chlorine in the 5 L jugs at a great price(for here anyways), $3.99
    That's a good price, the Canadian Tire here in Montreal is selling it for $4.99. That's still better than the $6.99 a local pool store (Club Piscine) is selling it for (also 10.8% concentration).
    In-Ground Dauphin Pool (circa 1970), 21K gallons, Vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Pro Series S-244T Sand Filter, LIQUID CHLORINE!