Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time green pool!! :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Grant Park

First time green pool!! :(

I am looking for some help..... last night I discovered that my pool has turned green! This has never happened to me before, and I would appreciate your solutions. My pool is a 24' round dished to 6' and runs through a hayward cartridge filter and zodiac chlorinator. I have added 3 pounds of super shock since last night. 1 last night and then this morning in the sun 2 more were added. The filter has been running constantly on high. My cousin tested the water on her TF-100 kit. These are the results....
    FC 3.5
    CC 1
    TC 4.5
    TA 70
    CYA 20

Please let me know what I need to do.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: First time green pool!! :(

Welcome to TFP!

If the pool turned green, the FC dropped below the recommended level at some point which allowed algae to gain a foothold. I would switch to plain unscented liquid bleach w/o any added thickeners and do a SLAM. If your FC is 20 ppm, you want to maintain an FC target of 10 ppm throughout the process. The most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain, as in maintaining FC as close to the SLAM target as possible until the SLAM Criteria of Done are achieved.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.