Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: things a novice learns that the experts might not think to pass onů.

1. Back To Top    #1

things a novice learns that the experts might not think to pass onů.

Hi folks I am doing lots of testing trying to get a handle on my YO_YOING CC results. Things I've learned so far as far as testing:

A large sample bottle like an old fashioned restaurant ketchup bottle works great, you get enough water to fill rinse and fill your test vials.

Take your samples mid-way down the side of your pool. Invert your test bottle or vials and the fill them as far down as you can reach and cover them as you raise them out of the pool(thanks MarianParoo)

The vials in your test kit are good but I bought extra vials with the black lines which are much easier to see.

I bought 3 extra speedster magnetic beans (thanks Richard320) so with 4 and vials to go with you can test everything in one setting, I went as far as labeling the vials and store the magnetic stirrers in their corresponding vials. This way you do all your clean up and rinsing once.

FC, CC, and TC in the one marked Chlorine only.

TA, Salt, and CH each get their own.

Move it all inside if its windy, drops are more accurate

Salt testing takes a while and then BOOM it turns red.

I hope this helps, remembering how many drops is all on you…..
    18' x 38' 20,500 gallon vinyl IGP, 3.5 - 7' depth, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter,
    2hp Whisperflo high performance pump, 1.1hp boost-rite pump for the cleaner,
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator
    Speedstir, K-1776, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: things a novice learns that the experts might not think to pass onů.

I need more magnetic beans too. Nice feedback.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is a tip from an old guy. Get a free water bottle from the pool store and then use the leaf net to put it down deep to get your sample. Then go inside to do your testing.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

All tests finished and only one trip to the sink...
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Yeah, I'm lazy, but I have learned to live with my shortcomings.....
    250k BTU MasterTemp heater, LetroLegend pool cleaner, Hayward TurboCell GLX-CELL-15 chlorine generator

5. Back To Top    #5

LOL "magnetic beans"
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I'll give you another. Since I know my CYA will always be over 30, I only need 20 ml of solution. So, I use a vial with 10 ml of pool water, add 10 ml of reagent and mix on the speed stir. Then pour into the little mix bottle before reading result. It's a lot quicker and saves on reagent.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

My pool water sampler. About 30 inches long. Put thumb over hole in the cap, lower about 2.5 feet into the water, release thumb, reapply thumb after the tube fills, then drain into a Leslies water sample bottle. My hands/arms don't get wet and the sample comes from deep.

[IMG][/IMG]
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    My pool water sampler. About 30 inches long. Put thumb over hole in the cap, lower about 2.5 feet into the water, release thumb, reapply thumb after the tube fills, then drain into a Leslies water sample bottle. My hands/arms don't get wet and the sample comes from deep.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now I have something to make Monday morning, Thanks.
    In ground 20,000gal - pebble-tec - salt, Intelliflo pump, Sta-Rite filter 450 sq ft ,Hayward 6060 booster pump, non functioning Aqua Rite SWCG, TF 100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ernie01jt View Post
    Yeah, I'm lazy, but I have learned to live with my shortcomings.....
    LOL! I'm with you!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by SacDave View Post
    Now I have something to make Monday morning, Thanks.

Just a tip. It wouldn't hold water until I tapered the bottom down to what you see in the picture.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

12. Back To Top    #12

epro05, I'm liking the pool sampler you built.

13. Back To Top    #13

It works great. Here in Texas I don't close my pool in winter, but I do continue to test it. My sampler keeps my hands and arms from touching the water, which is nice.

The main part is 1" PVC, but I found that I had to taper the bottom to 1/2" or less, or it would not hold the water when I lifted it out of the water. So if you make one, be sure and do the taper. The very bottom is a short piece of flexible tubing that I could press into the 1/2" PVC fitting. That tube makes it easy to insert into my Leslies water sample bottle.

Good Luck with your build if you decide to build one.

14. Back To Top    #14

Since I'm a tinkerer, I'll show my homebrew "speedstir". It's made from a small computer fan, with two small magnets double sticky taped in the center (one North up and one South up). Runs off 4 AAA batteries, which are in the pictured battery case I got from Radio Shack. The case has it's own ON/OFF switch. I've run it for 2 seasons now and haven't needed to replace the batteries yet. Works Great.

[IMG][/IMG]

15. Back To Top    #15

Someone has shown me the bouncing technique for using your leaf rake on bottom. Can't imagine how I ever picked up any leaves before.

Ryan
    41' x 16' x 5' IG, 25 000 gallon, cement, tile w/epoxy grout. Overflow/negative edge style. Pentair 4048 DE, Hayward 2 hp Single Speed, Pentair 320 Auto Chlorinator, 1.5 hp Blower f/Jacuzzi, TF-100, city/well (in pool) water option. Located in Panama.

16. Back To Top    #16

bumping up this thread so Suzy doesn't miss it.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by epro05 View Post
    Since I'm a tinkerer, I'll show my homebrew "speedstir". It's made from a small computer fan, with two small magnets double sticky taped in the center (one North up and one South up). Runs off 4 AAA batteries, which are in the pictured battery case I got from Radio Shack. The case has it's own ON/OFF switch. I've run it for 2 seasons now and haven't needed to replace the batteries yet. Works Great.

[IMG][/IMG]
    That's a slick speedstir. I've got over half a dozen case fans laying around. What did you use over the magnets, is that just saran wrap ?
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

18. Back To Top    #18

Not Saran Wrap. I got a small thin sheet of polycarbonate (or maybe it was acrylic) from home depot and cut it to size. I needed to add a washer or two between the fan and the polycarbonate sheet to give clearance for the magnets.

It's a 12V fan but it runs just fine on the 4 AAA's in series (giving 6 volts). If it was 12V I think the fan would run too fast. The batteries are connected directly to the motor (no resistors needed). The clip that attaches the battery holder to the fan case is a 9V battery clip, also from Radio Shack.

Here is the Radio Shack Battery Holder.

Here is the 9V clip

19. Back To Top    #19

ok, when I look closer I can see it's rigid. The upper right corner looked like plastic wrap and I wondered how it held the vials off the fan. That makes sense with 6 volts. Those fans turn too many rpms at 12v. I could see the beans flying everywhere.

Now I have a new project, thanks.

By the way, chief, how long do you stir your CYA mix before testing ?
    Si -central Mo. 32' x 16' -- 3'4" to 6' deep Vinyl liner - 16,500 Gals : Triton II filter -Duraglass 2 hp pump - 1 speed : SI-30 salt generator
    TF-100 with speedstir

20. Back To Top    #20

Actually, I don't use my stirrer for the CYA test. I just shake it per the instructions, and shake it again after 30 seconds, then do the test. The real value of a stirrer is when you are counting drops. It makes it so much easier, not to have to swirl with one hand and do drops with the other hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast