Yellow Algae issue/can't hold chlorine

Jul 2, 2015
New Jersey
I have been having issues with yellow algae for the past 2 seasons (seems like ever since i put in a new liner). Every time I think I have it figured out, it comes back. Nonetheless, this season has been going much like the last. My pool is having a difficult time holding chlorine. Every time I test, it is coming up .5 or less (other than when I shock). I am assuming the yellow algae is eating all of the chlorine which is why I can't show or hold a promising level.

I have been shocking and using yellow treat religiously (worked last season) but to no avail this season. My last attempt saw me raising the chlorine by shocking up to 10ppm and still I am finding yellow algae spots. The chlorine will read after the shock treatment, but by next morning I am down to .5 or 0.

I have been brushing 2 times a day, running the filter 8 hours a day, and backwashing/vaccuuming whenever I can. I am at my wits end. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Forgot to mention. My water is pretty clear. I can see right to the bottom. I am assuming I am on the verge of a bad breakout and just barely sliding by with the chlorine that is being sent in via my chlorine feeder. I am using 3" tri-chlorine tabs in my feeder.

Welcome to TFP!

10ppm of FC is probably not enough for your CYA level with all those pucks.

Do you have one of the Recommened Test Kits? If not, order the TF100 from TFTestkits.net, that is the one I have.

When you get a good test kit give us some test results so that we can help you diagnose you pool. You will need to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool so read up on the process yo get familiar with it.

Meanwhile have a look at these handy articles from Pool School
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I am all ears as to trying to figure out once and for all how to get rid of it. I will post my levels shortly, as will I read up on slamming my pool.

Just a quick question: is Yellow treat worth it? At this point, is it just building more of a chlorine demand in my pool? I could have sworn it worked last year, but this year not so much.

Don't know what yellow treat is. At TFP we use one thing to kill algae, chlorine. Once we know your CYA we can get to work. But don't rely on the pool store CYA test or a test strip. Neither is reliable or accurate. We've had people be told by the pool store that CYA was 30 or 50 and in reality it was over 200.

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.