Vacation insurance?

JGDUSC

Jun 10, 2013
Gilbert SC
Bought some
Amazon.com : Kem-Tek KTK-50-0006 Pool and Spa 60-Percent Concentrated Algaecide, 1 Quart : Swimming Pool Algaecides : Patio, Lawn Garden

At this moment
11.50 FC
0 CC
pH 7.6
TA 60
CYA 45-50

Leaving the pool for the week soon. Pool has been not so "Trouble Free" this year. Mustard algae is getting the better of me. I know how to do it but just ain't got it right yet I guess. Between the sun and it pool eating Gallon of 8.25 bleach a day( three times more than last year). I have slammed bammed and whatever only to have it come back. Right now in a good stretch but worried a week away is gonna be a problem. Been holding the pool to 10FC or better for the last week and never less than 5 this year. Goes up to 15 at night but 24 hours later the sun takes its toll. Passing OCLT for now. Should I raise my CYA a little more? Maybe 60ish?

Full sun most of the day. Water temp was 96 for three weeks. Cooler nights have it down to 91.

Wondering about this algaecide. Follow directions by adding 10 oz to start?

Trying to keep my mind from wondering back to the copper gizmo I got pool stored into when I first set up the pool and prior to my knowledge of this fine site. My hair doesn't turn green, but is about to fall out dealing with this issue. I know I know but it made life easy even though it wasn't sanitary.

Bought a two speed motor runs 16 hours a day on low. to make sure water is moving. Robot to vacuum instead of me but I still am slave to bleach humping. Wondering sams will cut me a deal on a pallet.

Sounds good don't have a cover as of yet. Mine tore opening this year. Does the poly 60 do reduce the chlorine? Just wondering if I should take it a little higher. I will also have the neighbor dump a gallon a couple times. Just didn't wanna have to have him here everyday. Thanks!

Pool survived vacation well. Not sure if it was from the Poly 60 or thanks to the neighbor dosing couple gallons couple times. Just keeping seeing the mustard come back. Not sure if its just dead stuff thanks to the poly or growing. I brush it around and vaccum. Checked my chlorine loss overnight and was only 1.5.(Wasn't totally dark before either test and the wife and kids had swam a good while. Plan on a proper test tonight) Have put one maintenance dose of poly 60 in last week and kept FC above 7 since returning. CYA is still 45-50. Been reading this morning about chlorine and Poly interactions and wondering if I am going about it wrong.

Right now I dump a gallon of bleach (8.25) in the pool a day. At three dollars a gallon it adds up quick. Been hot as heck here and no rain/clouds. Full sun and water temp in the low 90s. Last year I bought some phosphate remover cheap on clearance. I know its not needed if maintaining FC levels and using the methods described here. But I am looking to get rid of this once and having tried slamming several times can't seem to get it right. SINCE I already have it what could it hurt to try it?

Well tested the water last night and this AM and looking at 1 loss. There was .5CC last night and none this am. Dumped a gallon of bleach in there so I am right at 10ppm as of 5.30 this am. Also dumped a maintenance dose of poly60 in there yesterday am. 3/4 inch rain last night thru the pH off a little so gotta go deal with that. Just wondrin about the rest of the summer.

It doesnt sound like you are truly doing your SLAM correctly. For mustard algae and a CYA of 50 you need to keep your Free chlorine above 20 during the process, checking every 2 hours as you can. Right now you are just holding the algae at bay, not truly killing it. Your Polyquat is not really doing much if anything, it doesnt kill algae - although it will help prevent it. If you get you SLAM done correctly you dont need weekly treatments.

Also note - a gallon of regular 8.25% bleach is only raising your FC 6.2 ppm in 12900 gallon pool. You start in the evening with 7 ppm and add 6.2 ppm, gets you to 13.2, not reaching your SLAM target.....

See links:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Chlorine/CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.