Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Giant Horrible THING in my Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Giant Horrible THING in my Pool

OK, there was a backswimmer in my pool last night. Tried to catch it, but it was too fast for me. Just now, I see this.... giant horrible THING scooting around... horribly. I would say it is at least 2 inches long... maybe 3.
    1. What is it?
    2. How do I get rid of it?
    3. Do I need a priest to bless the pool afterwards?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Giant Horrible THING in my Pool

Never had backswimmers or other things in the pool, but read a few threads about them. General remedy was over chlorinate. Is the thing in the pic alive or dead?
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

At the time of the pic, it was VERY alive.... Boyfriend and I got it out, sprayed Raid on it.. dumped it into a trash bag, tied it up, and put it in big trash can...... So... still alive?? Plotting revenge??
    ~11,250 gallon, in ground, Pebble-Tec finish, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter, Hayward Super II pump, Hayward bottom vacuum NaviGator (I call him Fred), waterfall feature, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe it's the queen backswimmer. You just really ticked off the colony, watch out when swimming. They may be gathering for the attack! LOL. As for the priest, an exorcism on a pool can't hurt, it's better than pool store advice
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

kinda looked like a cicada.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk224 View Post
    OK, there was a backswimmer in my pool last night. Tried to catch it, but it was too fast for me. Just now, I see this.... giant horrible THING scooting around... horribly. I would say it is at least 2 inches long... maybe 3.
    1. What is it?
    2. How do I get rid of it?
    3. Do I need a priest to bless the pool afterwards?
    Google "giant water bug" and see if it looks like what you saw.

My kids found one while they were in the pool last summer, and they were out in amazingly quick time. It's one of only a few insects that get this large. It looked like sort of a demented frog as it was swimming. I fished it out and dumped it in the woods.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

7. Back To Top    #7

Out of curiosity, I just googled "giant water bug" and the images showed one that is so big it can fight off a snake!! I sure hope that's not what you have in your pool, Nighthawk!
    Replastered 2015: Sunstone Quartz Midnight Blue 16x32 rectangular gunite with in-pool spa....18,000 gallons. Autopilot Total Control System with SWG and acid pump. Pentair Clean & Clear 420. Auto cover. TF-100.

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, I'm much calmer now. After looking online I found what it is... a Giant Water Bug. Apparently a delicacy in Southern Asia. Me, I'll pass, thanks....