Getting cloudy

May 20, 2015
Jefferson/ga
We have had a bunch of rain the last week. I have continued to check and keep levels with in range. Should I do? I just slammed. Reading before slam were as followed.
CYA=45
FC=4.6
CC= 0
pH=7.6
TA=100
CH=50

What else should I do? I don't want to lose it. It has been getting a little cloudier then last 2 days. Has a slight green/blue tint today.

Cloudy water is nearly always the first sign of algae. Algae is nearly always caused by chlorine level dropping below minimum for your CYA level. First, Cya should be rounded to the next 10, the scale is logarithmic not linear. So, assume 50. Minimum FC is 4 and chlorine should never drop below 4. Target is 6 and should be kept at 6 at all times. I usually go a little higher to be cautious. Especially if there will be lots of swimming. It is safe to swim with chlorine up to shock level of 20. Chlorine / CYA Chart

At this point you can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic mateiral in the pool. Take FC up to 10ish for this test.

You're doing it - Nip it in the bud! :goodjob:

Round CYA to 50 and shock level is 20. Test and raise it again before bed and leave the pump on overnight. Test and add some more early in the morning when you have your morning coffee. You can beat it back before it gets any worse. A jug in time saves nine.

I just took readings today.
CYA=50
FC=15 (a drop of 6 over night)
CC= 0
pH=7.6
TA=100
CH=50

I just slammed again. Raising it to 24

- - - Updated - - -

First slam was yesterday just before dark

- - - Updated - - -

How much should I vacuum? Is it more important to filter or get the dead stuff off the bottom.

SLAM:

1) Test the FC level as often as possible (at least twice per day, but no more than once per hour) and add chlorine to raise FC up to shock level.
2) As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
3) Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day.
4) Backwash or clean the filter as needed.
5) Vacuum up debris as needed.
6) Run pump on filter mode 24/7.

You are done when:

1) CC is 0.5 or lower;
2) And you pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
3) And the water is clear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Like a good neighbor, Skitch Fester was there.

I tested and added chlorine for the Mayor while he was out of town.

Needs a good vacuuming, but Trouble Free rules!

QdycFG1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.