Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting cloudy

We have had a bunch of rain the last week. I have continued to check and keep levels with in range. Should I do? I just slammed. Reading before slam were as followed.
    CYA=45
    FC=4.6
    CC= 0
    pH=7.6
    TA=100
    CH=50

What else should I do? I don't want to lose it. It has been getting a little cloudier then last 2 days. Has a slight green/blue tint today.
    12' X 48" AG
    Intex Krystal Clear 3000 GPH Above Ground Pool Sand Filter Pump
    6/1/2013
    Taylor K-2006
    No SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting cloudy

Cloudy water is nearly always the first sign of algae. Algae is nearly always caused by chlorine level dropping below minimum for your CYA level. First, Cya should be rounded to the next 10, the scale is logarithmic not linear. So, assume 50. Minimum FC is 4 and chlorine should never drop below 4. Target is 6 and should be kept at 6 at all times. I usually go a little higher to be cautious. Especially if there will be lots of swimming. It is safe to swim with chlorine up to shock level of 20. Chlorine / CYA Chart

At this point you can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic mateiral in the pool. Take FC up to 10ish for this test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

You're doing it - Nip it in the bud!

Round CYA to 50 and shock level is 20. Test and raise it again before bed and leave the pump on overnight. Test and add some more early in the morning when you have your morning coffee. You can beat it back before it gets any worse. A jug in time saves nine.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is that the first TFP limerick?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Is that the first TFP limerick?
    TFP proverb.

Limericks usually start out with something about Huxham...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Keep SLAM'ing and run that pump!
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi mayor what are your readings after the slam/today? How many days did the slam process take?
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

I just took readings today.
    CYA=50
    FC=15 (a drop of 6 over night)
    CC= 0
    pH=7.6
    TA=100
    CH=50

I just slammed again. Raising it to 24

- - - Updated - - -

First slam was yesterday just before dark

- - - Updated - - -

How much should I vacuum? Is it more important to filter or get the dead stuff off the bottom.

9. Back To Top    #9

Based on your questions and past tense use of SLAMMED when you haven't completed a SLAM, I suggest reading the SLAM process again. It's easier to understand once you've started the process.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

SLAM:

1) Test the FC level as often as possible (at least twice per day, but no more than once per hour) and add chlorine to raise FC up to shock level.
    2) As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
    3) Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day.
    4) Backwash or clean the filter as needed.
    5) Vacuum up debris as needed.
    6) Run pump on filter mode 24/7.

You are done when:

1) CC is 0.5 or lower;
    2) And you pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    3) And the water is clear

11. Back To Top    #11

Mayor,

How about an update? Are you losing chlorine overnight? Got any pics?

12. Back To Top    #12

Bueller?

Anyone?

It seems the Mayor of JTown has gone on vacation. He added two trichlor(?) tabs to his skimmer basket and skipped town. Should I use his test kit to confirm levels or just let it stew?

13. Back To Top    #13

Like a good neighbor, Skitch Fester was there.

I tested and added chlorine for the Mayor while he was out of town.

Needs a good vacuuming, but Trouble Free rules!