Gulf Breeze, FL Lap pool/spa-- SPA is smaller than spec-- advice please!

May 14, 2015
Gulf Breeze
Hi All! I love the activity and amount of input people provide on this forum. Our pool build started June 9. They delayed about two months before they started, but once they started, they've gone very quickly... Maybe too quickly to even do proper checks/inspections. They've just finished with the shortcrete yesterday and I noticed that the spa seemed small. It is TWO feet smaller in width than it is supposed to be! The specs call for 5' x 8' internal dimensions, but what we have now is 5' x 6' :mad: For the amount of money we are spending, we don't want to feel cramped or upset every time we get into the pool. The foreman said it would take two weeks to just to demo the spa to start over. OR they could offer a discount. I asked what kind of discount are they talking about and he said that he'd have the rep call me. I'm thinking I won't take anything less than 15k. I'm paying the PBs about 50k for this build and they aren't even providing the equipment (I have purchased all the pool equipment myself, separately). Is 15k unreasonable? thoughts?

Here are progress pics so far (looks like have a small limit so will only show the latest)20150702_170326.jpg20150702_170245.jpg20150702_170548.jpg

Thanks Michael. My son will be here for about 6 weeks before he goes back to school and I really wanted this to be ready for him, so the time it would take to redo it is worth something to me-- just another consideration I have to factor in.

Welcome to TFP!! Your pictures are great - it really helps. When you're ready, you can use photo bucket or similar to copy and paste pictures. You can also become a TFP supporter if you want. That will give you more space for posting pictures.

I would have been so disappointed if our spa had been cut that much. To me, that's a huge blunder. I don't know what a fair discount would be. I agree that even if they redo, you should also be compensated for time delay, etc.

For the sake of time, I can see where you might want to stay with it as is. Have ya'll tried sitting people in it to see how many fit? How often do you think more than two people would be in it at one time? I see 2 jets, are there others? That would be a consideration for me, too.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with such a disappointment. II'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it works out.

Your pool looks great! Take care.
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

P. S. Is that a little black kitten going up the steps? Soooo cute!

Thanks, Suz! There is a back seat and four more jets along the back that you can't see in the pic. I have sat in it and it isn't so bad that knees knock when you are sitting across from each other, but six people would be a tight fit. Mostly it will be two of us, maybe four with the kids..

Actually, it's a little Yorkiepoo :)

If it turned out 2' larger would you expect to pay 30% of the total, of course not. Why not sit in the area and decide if that 2' is that important. If it is then tear it out and re-do it. If its not than be reasonable. My wag its worth about 3k.

Awwww, your Yorkiepoo is adorable! You'll have to keep an eye on that little one. Life jacket, doggie ramp in the pool, doggie safety fence,? Lol! I definitely need to see more pool pictures with that cuddle bug!

Maybe the spa will work out best just as it is! It's funny how that can work on sometimes. And you'll save some money, too! Not a bad deal!
Suz.

15k seems high. I'd be surprised if they went as high as $5K.

Which spa wall was cut short? Does correcting the spa also mean stairs need to be torn out?

Like some others have said, get a few adults in it and see how it feels. If it bothers you now, it's only going to get worse every time you get in it.

I hate delays as much as everyone else but would never be happy if it wasn't to my liking.

I was very specific with my PB on pool/spa dimensions and depths. When Gunite day comes (hopefully next week), I'll be watching like a hawk!!!

15k seems high. I'd be surprised if they went as high as $5K.

Which spa wall was cut short? Does correcting the spa also mean stairs need to be torn out?

Like some others have said, get a few adults in it and see how it feels. If it bothers you now, it's only going to get worse every time you get in it.

I hate delays as much as everyone else but would never be happy if it wasn't to my liking.

I was very specific with my PB on pool/spa dimensions and depths. When Gunite day comes (hopefully next week), I'll be watching like a hawk!!!
The one running the length of the pool, so yes, the stairs would have to be cut too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't change it, are you going to think, "Gee, I wish I'd made the PB correct the size." every time you get into the spa? I doubt if you'd think "It's too small but I saved $3-5k on it!"

You have to decide what's more important for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.