Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gulf Breeze, FL Lap pool/spa-- SPA is smaller than spec-- advice please!

1. Back To Top    #1

Gulf Breeze, FL Lap pool/spa-- SPA is smaller than spec-- advice please!

Hi All! I love the activity and amount of input people provide on this forum. Our pool build started June 9. They delayed about two months before they started, but once they started, they've gone very quickly... Maybe too quickly to even do proper checks/inspections. They've just finished with the shortcrete yesterday and I noticed that the spa seemed small. It is TWO feet smaller in width than it is supposed to be! The specs call for 5' x 8' internal dimensions, but what we have now is 5' x 6' For the amount of money we are spending, we don't want to feel cramped or upset every time we get into the pool. The foreman said it would take two weeks to just to demo the spa to start over. OR they could offer a discount. I asked what kind of discount are they talking about and he said that he'd have the rep call me. I'm thinking I won't take anything less than 15k. I'm paying the PBs about 50k for this build and they aren't even providing the equipment (I have purchased all the pool equipment myself, separately). Is 15k unreasonable? thoughts?

Here are progress pics so far (looks like have a small limit so will only show the latest)20150702_170326.jpg20150702_170245.jpg20150702_170548.jpg
    ~20k gallons, 690 sqft, Gunite (plaster), 3 1/2-5 1/2' depth, 5'x6' spa, pentair IntelliFlo vs 3hp, Pentair Easy Touch Control Control System with IC40 Chlorine Generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320, Pentair UltraTemp 140 High Performance Heat Pump, Pentair Screenlogic Interface & Wireless Connection Kit, Dolphin Oasis Z5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gulf Breeze, FL Lap pool/spa-- SPA is smaller than spec-- advice please!

IMO, whatever makes you happy, if it was me, I'd have it demo'ed and redone. I'd also insist on something a little extra to make up for it.
    My pool: 13,500 gallons round pool, 24' w 52" above ground, hard sided pool. Jacuzzi 190L Sand Filter, 1 Horse Waterway pump, Robotic Vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Michael. My son will be here for about 6 weeks before he goes back to school and I really wanted this to be ready for him, so the time it would take to redo it is worth something to me-- just another consideration I have to factor in.
    ~20k gallons, 690 sqft, Gunite (plaster), 3 1/2-5 1/2' depth, 5'x6' spa, pentair IntelliFlo vs 3hp, Pentair Easy Touch Control Control System with IC40 Chlorine Generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320, Pentair UltraTemp 140 High Performance Heat Pump, Pentair Screenlogic Interface & Wireless Connection Kit, Dolphin Oasis Z5

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!! Your pictures are great - it really helps. When you're ready, you can use photo bucket or similar to copy and paste pictures. You can also become a TFP supporter if you want. That will give you more space for posting pictures.

I would have been so disappointed if our spa had been cut that much. To me, that's a huge blunder. I don't know what a fair discount would be. I agree that even if they redo, you should also be compensated for time delay, etc.

For the sake of time, I can see where you might want to stay with it as is. Have ya'll tried sitting people in it to see how many fit? How often do you think more than two people would be in it at one time? I see 2 jets, are there others? That would be a consideration for me, too.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with such a disappointment. II'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it works out.

Your pool looks great! Take care.
    Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

P. S. Is that a little black kitten going up the steps? Soooo cute!
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, Suz! There is a back seat and four more jets along the back that you can't see in the pic. I have sat in it and it isn't so bad that knees knock when you are sitting across from each other, but six people would be a tight fit. Mostly it will be two of us, maybe four with the kids..

Actually, it's a little Yorkiepoo

6. Back To Top    #6

If it turned out 2' larger would you expect to pay 30% of the total, of course not. Why not sit in the area and decide if that 2' is that important. If it is then tear it out and re-do it. If its not than be reasonable. My wag its worth about 3k.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Awwww, your Yorkiepoo is adorable! You'll have to keep an eye on that little one. Life jacket, doggie ramp in the pool, doggie safety fence,? Lol! I definitely need to see more pool pictures with that cuddle bug!

Maybe the spa will work out best just as it is! It's funny how that can work on sometimes. And you'll save some money, too! Not a bad deal!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

8. Back To Top    #8

15k seems high. I'd be surprised if they went as high as $5K.

Which spa wall was cut short? Does correcting the spa also mean stairs need to be torn out?

Like some others have said, get a few adults in it and see how it feels. If it bothers you now, it's only going to get worse every time you get in it.

I hate delays as much as everyone else but would never be happy if it wasn't to my liking.

I was very specific with my PB on pool/spa dimensions and depths. When Gunite day comes (hopefully next week), I'll be watching like a hawk!!!
    2015 Pool Build --> HERE IG 19'x47' w/ 7'x7' in pool spa; 3'6"-8' deep.
    Pentair 520 Filter, IntelliFlow VS XF Pump, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, IntelliBrite/GloBrite LEDs, IntelliTouch w/Screenlogic2. 400K BTU heater. A&A G4V in-floor cleaning system. WetEdge Prism Matrix Pebble finish. TechoBloc Pavers and Coping.
    Test kits - Taylor K-2006 FAS/DPD, K-1766 Salt, SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Sit in it. Will it be comfy as is? If so take the money. If not allow them to demo it.

So sorry this happened!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by spool View Post
    15k seems high. I'd be surprised if they went as high as $5K.

Which spa wall was cut short? Does correcting the spa also mean stairs need to be torn out?

Like some others have said, get a few adults in it and see how it feels. If it bothers you now, it's only going to get worse every time you get in it.

I hate delays as much as everyone else but would never be happy if it wasn't to my liking.

I was very specific with my PB on pool/spa dimensions and depths. When Gunite day comes (hopefully next week), I'll be watching like a hawk!!!
    The one running the length of the pool, so yes, the stairs would have to be cut too.

11. Back To Top    #11

If the stairs would have to be torn out no way would I have it corrected. I do think $15k is way high. I would start at $5k and settle for no less than $3k.
    Sorry this happened!
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

12. Back To Top    #12

If you don't change it, are you going to think, "Gee, I wish I'd made the PB correct the size." every time you get into the spa? I doubt if you'd think "It's too small but I saved $3-5k on it!"

You have to decide what's more important for you.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop