pool advice

Jul 2, 2015
Boca Raton
Hello,
I have been adding pool shock and algaecide as recommended by my pool store on a weekly basis and my pool has been ok. Recently as I added shock the powder would immediately react and a cloudy gas would form inside the water and it would come off the pool. Something is definitely not right so I started to look how to get into the borax bleach baking soda method but I know I need to solve this problem first. My chlorine values are below 0.6 ppm, alkalinity 120 ppm, pH 7.8 and pool is green with algae now. How do I fix this problem and stop using algaecides? Thanks for the advice.

Hello,
I have been adding pool shock and algaecide as recommended by my pool store on a weekly basis and my pool has been ok. Recently as I added shock the powder would immediately react and a cloudy gas would form inside the water and it would come off the pool. Something is definitely not right so I started to look how to get into the borax bleach baking soda method but I know I need to solve this problem first. My chlorine values are below 0.6 ppm, alkalinity 120 ppm, pH 7.8 and pool is green with algae now. How do I fix this problem and stop using algaecides? Thanks for the advice.
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The first thing you need to fix is super easy. Stop going to a pool store.

Next, you need to pay a visit to Pool School and read up on the proper, and Trouble Free way to care for your pool.

You are going to need to SLAM your pool (explained in Pool School), once that is complete and your water chemistry is balanced the only thing you should ever need to add to your pool is liquid chlorine (bleach) and your family!

You are also going to need to invest a slight amount into a proper test kit. There are two recommended kits, the Taylor K-2006 & the TF-100. The TF-100 is the better value, be sure to get the XL option, you are going to need the extra reagents. The Taylor K-2006 is a good kit, but short on reagents.

I know that you probably don't want to hear that you need to spend more money on that swap the poo store has left you with, but the test kit will become a wise investment that will save you money in the long run.

Don't worry, we will be here to help, when all is done you will not believe the beautiful pool you now own.

Be sure to put all your pool details into your signature (look at mine for an example) as it will help others when they give advise.

Edit: have a read here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/3913-Turning-Your-Green-Swamp-Back-into-a-Sparkling-Oasis

Dom

which algaecide have you been using? You may have metals in your pool now too. cloudy green is algae. Clear green is copper from algaecide.
Just so you know what life is like on the other side, I can't imagine having to put that stuff in my pool every week.

ok so I got me one of the test kits recommended:
FC <1ppm no color
TC <1ppm no color
pH 8
TA 140ppm
CH 420ppm
Cyanuric acid 120ppm

Cleaned leaves, filter and added 8 gallons of 10% bleach to a 9000 gallon pool
Just checked for FC and TC and still <1ppm, pool is green. Do I keep adding bleach?

Thanks for the advice

ok so I got me one of the test kits recommended:
FC <1ppm no color
TC <1ppm no color
pH 8
TA 140ppm
CH 420ppm
Cyanuric acid 120ppm

Cleaned leaves, filter and added 8 gallons of 10% bleach to a 9000 gallon pool
Just checked for FC and TC and still <1ppm, pool is green. Do I keep adding bleach?

Thanks for the advice
Are you sure about 8 gallons (1024oz) of 10% in a 9000 gallon pool?

Did you add while the pump/filter was running? How long after adding the chlorine did you test?

Pool math says that would raise your FC almost 90ppm.

2B6F5190-8F0A-4092-B0CC-92BEB8C06B50_zps8tgiqvwt.png

Dom

If the CYA is truly 120, you need to stop dumping expensive chemicals in and start replacing some water. Do it a foot at a time so you don't float the pool right out of the ground.

As it says in the SLAM article:
SLAMing an outdoor pool is most effective when CYA is around 30 to 40. Below 30 you lose too much chlorine to sunlight. As CYA goes up, SLAMing requires more and more chlorine, which starts to get impractical around 80 or 90. With CYA above 90 we recommend replacing water to get CYA down before you start the SLAM process.​

Follow that article to the letter.

You will want to lower your CYA for sure, but also want to clarify that a SLAM isn't a one time SHOCK. You have to keep the SL of FC up as often as you can. When you are home
Test and add bleach every hour , based on what pool math says to add to bring up to shock level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, 8 gallons. I checked after 24 hours and I added while the pump was running.
Just to echo Pogueld's advice, a proper SLAM is not just a one time "random dump" of chlorine.

S-shock
L-level
A-and
M-maintain

You should be using Pool Math to calculate the proper amount of chlorine to add too your pool to reach your shock level per your CYA level, then you need to keep testing hourly (or as many times as possible in a day) & adding chlorine to Maintain that shock level. Depending on the condition of your pool you may need to add chlorine hourly until the FC level starts to hold. Algae did not get to this point in 24 hours, don't expect it to clear in 24 hours.

Please re-read the SLAM procedures, and forget anything the pool store has told you in the past.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

As others have mentioned you need to lower your CYA, and the only way to do that is to drain and refill part of your water as Richard320 has described.

With out the details of your pool (please put that in your signature) we cannot give detailed advice.

I know this seems like a lot of time, work & money, but once you have completed a proper SLAM and have your water balanced you will not believe how easy it is to maintain a sparkling pool!

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I emptied part of my pool and replaced the water, my readings now are
FC and TC <1ppm
pH 7.6
TA 100ppm
CH 180ppm
Cyanuric Acid 45 ppm
I guess now I need to SLAM and follow procedure?
Lower pH a bit and hit it with bleach. On the other hand, if it's already past bedtime, just hit it with bleach tonight and get a head start on things.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.