Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black stuff in skimmer and on floating lights?

1. Back To Top    #1

Black stuff in skimmer and on floating lights?

We've noticed some black 'thick, sticky' stuff at the water line in the skimmer and also on the edges of our floating pool lights. We bought a new light yesterday and today there is even some on the NEW one. What can this be? And how do I get rid of it?
    27ftx4ft above ground pool with sand filter(brand new 2015) and 1.5hp hayward pump, TOTAL newbie to pool ownership (came with the house)...new TF-100 test kit in hand and ready to go TFP!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black stuff in skimmer and on floating lights?

This might be residue we refer to as a "scum line". You can use a variety of products to clean it off, and some people have placed some products in their skimmer (scum ball) to absorb the residual oils that can cause those black lines around your pool. Here's a previous discussion: Tile Scum
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Black stuff in skimmer and on floating lights?

Ok... that is kind of what I was thinking. Ordered a scumbug and will try some magic erasers on the stuff that's already yucky.
    27ftx4ft above ground pool with sand filter(brand new 2015) and 1.5hp hayward pump, TOTAL newbie to pool ownership (came with the house)...new TF-100 test kit in hand and ready to go TFP!!