Skimmer not clear of coping. Alternatives to jackhammer and cutting coping?

poolnorthernva

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 14, 2015
Leesburg, Va
We found that one of our two skimmers does not clear our coping.

Note the coping is over the top of the skimmer hole by almost 3 inches. There is a 3 inch clearance between the top of the skimmer shell and the bottom of the coping. Our coping is 2 inches thick.

We can cut the coping (round) to match the basket.
We can jackhammer out the skimmer, replace skimmer setting it back. For reasons I don't want to go into this will not be an option.
Is it possible to angle cut the back underside of the coping to allow for basket clearance?

This is the other skimmer, what is expected.
19354159172_4a32dfe37f.jpg

This is the blocked skimmer. The ruler edge is fairly flush to the skimmer end under the coping, leaves about 3 inch overage.
19172629350_c0d0dc8347.jpg

This is another view of the blocked skimmer.
19364299451_b97645f01e.jpg

Your coping is just gorgeous, so I can see why you'd rather not cut into it. I've forgotten what you will be using for decking. I've seen the coping cut for the skimmer and with the deck butting up to the coping, it looks quite natural - like it's supposed to be. I would be disappointed, too, but this is one of those things I think mostly you will notice. People who come to visit will see the whole complete and beautiful pool and it's surrounding. Well, I do know a couple of obnoxious people who feel they must comment on every little flaw..... Lol!! Hopefully you don't know anyone like that!
Suz.

We are going with a concrete deck. Just spoke with PB. He is going to get one inch thick travertine squares to go over the baskets. He will notch the coping to fit the travertine top. It will be only something I will see, I agree. The mis alignment occurred at the plumbing stage I believe. I don't know enough about how the final placement is decided, after gunite moving becomes an issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.