Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer not clear of coping. Alternatives to jackhammer and cutting coping?

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer not clear of coping. Alternatives to jackhammer and cutting coping?

We found that one of our two skimmers does not clear our coping.

Note the coping is over the top of the skimmer hole by almost 3 inches. There is a 3 inch clearance between the top of the skimmer shell and the bottom of the coping. Our coping is 2 inches thick.

We can cut the coping (round) to match the basket.
    We can jackhammer out the skimmer, replace skimmer setting it back. For reasons I don't want to go into this will not be an option.
    Is it possible to angle cut the back underside of the coping to allow for basket clearance?

This is the other skimmer, what is expected.

This is the blocked skimmer. The ruler edge is fairly flush to the skimmer end under the coping, leaves about 3 inch overage.

This is another view of the blocked skimmer.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Skimmer not clear of coping. Alternatives to jackhammer and cutting coping?

Simply cut the coping to allow the skimmer top to be installed. No worries.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I was hoping to preserve the straight line of the coping, rather then having the cutout. I don't see an alternative though besides getting the skimmer moved back 3 inches. Which at this point will not happen.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Your coping is just gorgeous, so I can see why you'd rather not cut into it. I've forgotten what you will be using for decking. I've seen the coping cut for the skimmer and with the deck butting up to the coping, it looks quite natural - like it's supposed to be. I would be disappointed, too, but this is one of those things I think mostly you will notice. People who come to visit will see the whole complete and beautiful pool and it's surrounding. Well, I do know a couple of obnoxious people who feel they must comment on every little flaw..... Lol!! Hopefully you don't know anyone like that!
    Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL around here if someone becomes one of "THOSE" people they are shown the gate!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with Suz! It's going to be one of those things only you will notice.

New pool build in Manor, Texas. 2015. 509 sq. feet; 31'6" x 19'10". Sunshelf & bubbler and waterfall sheer. Gunite inground pool. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump; Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge; Inline chlorination w/UV Sys;Lighting:Pentair IntelliBrite Color LED 120V;Cleaner: KK Racer w/booster.Bench/ledge;limestone Coping; Verona Tile 562 Decking

8. Back To Top    #8

Wonder how that happened. Would make more sense to me if both were off, but weird that only one is measured wrong.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

9. Back To Top    #9

We are going with a concrete deck. Just spoke with PB. He is going to get one inch thick travertine squares to go over the baskets. He will notch the coping to fit the travertine top. It will be only something I will see, I agree. The mis alignment occurred at the plumbing stage I believe. I don't know enough about how the final placement is decided, after gunite moving becomes an issue.

10. Back To Top    #10

I can't even see my skimmer lids from the floatie with a drink!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach