Chlorine very high and not coming down

May 26, 2015
Turnersville NJ
Ok so my chlorine level is super high and I literally stopped putting in the drops from my test kit cause I didn't want to waste them.......I have been using bleach as needed and have not put any in the pool in a day and a half and level not decreasing......and now pool is cloudy since it rained recently and not sure what to do....suggestions?

If it's that high, it's best to just wait it out. It will come down with sunlight exposure and usage but the cheapest route is to let it come down naturally. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to bring it down quickly if you're worried about liner damage, swimmer safety.

Any reasons it got so high? Were you attempting to SLAM or made a gross error calculating chlorine additions? Also save drops by doing the 10 mL FAS-DPD test rather than the 25 mL.

Ok so my chlorine level is super high and I literally stopped putting in the drops from my test kit cause I didn't want to waste them.......I have been using bleach as needed and have not put any in the pool in a day and a half and level not decreasing......and now pool is cloudy since it rained recently and not sure what to do....suggestions?

Are you using the 10ml sample to test or the 25ml sample? I have thought my cl was super high before, and then realized I was using the 25ml sample but counting each drop as 0.5ppm.:brickwall:

FC of 3 is way too low for CYA of 60. You probably will need to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain again.

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. In order to keep your pool sanitized and algae free FC needs to kept at 7-8 at all times and never allowed to drop below 5, not even for a minute, or the pool will not be properly sanitized.

It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.