Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine very high and not coming down

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine very high and not coming down

Ok so my chlorine level is super high and I literally stopped putting in the drops from my test kit cause I didn't want to waste them.......I have been using bleach as needed and have not put any in the pool in a day and a half and level not decreasing......and now pool is cloudy since it rained recently and not sure what to do....suggestions?
    Above ground 15,000 gallon vinyl w/ sand filter .....more info to come

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine very high and not coming down

If it's that high, it's best to just wait it out. It will come down with sunlight exposure and usage but the cheapest route is to let it come down naturally. Hydrogen peroxide can be used to bring it down quickly if you're worried about liner damage, swimmer safety.

Any reasons it got so high? Were you attempting to SLAM or made a gross error calculating chlorine additions? Also save drops by doing the 10 mL FAS-DPD test rather than the 25 mL.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably miscalculation.....thought I had good system down but I guess I screwed up. Would the high chlorine cloud the pool or is that from the rain? And if I'm doing the bleach method should I have the pucks floating in pool or stop using them?

4. Back To Top    #4

Definitely remove the pucks. As for cloudiness, any chance you have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit to post some results? Reviewing your readings would help us better serve you.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes I have the Taylor kit I will try to get some readings for you thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

If it was miscalculation, and it is above the SLAM level, I wouldn't be swimming in it.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jfranchi9 View Post
    Ok so my chlorine level is super high and I literally stopped putting in the drops from my test kit cause I didn't want to waste them.......I have been using bleach as needed and have not put any in the pool in a day and a half and level not decreasing......and now pool is cloudy since it rained recently and not sure what to do....suggestions?
    Are you using the 10ml sample to test or the 25ml sample? I have thought my cl was super high before, and then realized I was using the 25ml sample but counting each drop as 0.5ppm.
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok so here is what I have so far ph 7.2 TA 70 CH 90 FC 3.0 and the cya seemed high at 60 if I did it correctly

9. Back To Top    #9

You can still see to the bottom but seems dark and has bubbles when skimmin

10. Back To Top    #10

FC of 3 is way too low for CYA of 60. You probably will need to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain again.

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. In order to keep your pool sanitized and algae free FC needs to kept at 7-8 at all times and never allowed to drop below 5, not even for a minute, or the pool will not be properly sanitized.

It is safe to swim when FC is above minimum and below shock level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Obviously no one can swim when slamming pool right? And will the cya level ever go down so I don't have to keep the FC so high

12. Back To Top    #12

You can swim if the FC is below shock level during SLAM procedure. Provided you can clearly see the bottom.

CYA only will go down if you drain and refill.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons