Poooooooooool Boy

Jul 2, 2015
NJ
Hello all,

I've had a pool my entire life however we always had a company take care of it. Now that I own my first house I find I don't want to pay for a pool service as my parents did. I am here to do 2 things:

1) Learn how to maintain my pool
2) Attempt to heat my pool on the cheap

Wish me luck!

Welcome!

Start with the ABCs in Pool School. Order a proper test kit ASAP, and as mentioned you can ask anything about pools you'll need to know here on the forum. Good luck, and enjoy our site.

Welcome - I think you'll find the advice here to be spot-on and easy to accomplish.

I'll weigh in on the "heat the pool on the cheap" part. We have a 400,000 btu propane heater & attempted to warm the pool enough to swim over spring break. After sucking on propane for 24 hours, it resulted in a chilly dip, then a quick move into the attached spa. If I recall correctly, I think it only raised the temp 10 degrees - 0.5 degree / hr. About 40% of my 250 gallon tank was used in the process. My vote, based on this experience is this is not the "cheap" way to heat a pool. Maybe I'll learn some tricks here too!

The spa on the other hand... Heats to 100+ in about 30 minutes and barely registers anything consumed on the propane gauge!