Inground pool leak on return side

Apr 12, 2010
Hey guys,

I am hoping you can help me out. I have an inground pool, steel wall. I have a significant leak, losing about 2 inches of water or more per day, only when the pump is running. I have narrowed down the leak to the return side. I have done this by running a flexible PVC hose on top of the ground from the filter to the pool and plugging the return jet. The leak stopped with this test.

So my question is, how can I determine if it is the return jet or the pipe that is leaking? And once, I know which is leaking, can they be replaced or repaired from inside the pool with out pulling up all of the pavers and digging?

Thank you for your help.

-Kevin

The most likely place for a pressure side leak seems to be at the penetration of the pool wall. You will have to lower the water level to get to it but I would start there.

If you don't fing the leak at that point, it's obviously in the underground pipe (pretty rare, incidentally) and will need to be dug up.

Hey Dave,

I can try draining the pool below the return jet and try repairing or replacing it. I'm just don't know if you can replace them from inside the pool or if you need access to the other side.

Thanks,
Kevin

Yeah, you'll need access to the back side so you may have to dig a little.

Make darn sure the leak is nowhere else before you dig although I think you may have done that already.

Just replaced our return on inground. Had to cut concrete and dig. I replaced fitting first. Didn't help. Then line. But to replace fitting you have to dig to it at pool wall. I got me on ononaazon for 6 bucks. I used 2in flex for return. If had to do over would have just used reg- cheaper. But thought cause of winters here the flex would give Lil before breaking from ice like previous. I hung sump from dive board bolts to lower water only took but 2 hours to get water level lto return fitting. Also check your connections at equipment. So much easier to fix if the leak is above ground.

Hi dpease,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about it yesterday and realized it must be screwed down on the outside of the pool. there is no leak at the filter so it has to be the pipe or where the pipe meets the return. I have pavers around my pool. I am more concerned with getting them back down and looking good then I am doing the work on the pool. Lol. but I guess that is what I'll have to do.

Thank you,
Kevin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.