Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 and High Chlorine Test

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 and High Chlorine Test

Yesterday I did a drain/flush on my pool to get the CYA lowered. The good news is I am at least down to CYA of 60 and attempting to go back to bleach instead of trichlor. Last night I added 6 bottles of concentrated bleach in an attempt to shock the pool and get the water clear. I ran the pump all night and attempted to test the water this morning. As I said, the good news is that the CYA is now manageable.

The bad news is I couldn't get the chlorine test to work. I tried twice. The first test, I added the 870 powder and tried to agitate the test bottle to get it to turn pink. It would flash pink and go back clear. I swirled hard a few more times and it turned a deep purple. So I started adding 871 reagent and got to 60, and still hadn't turned. Then I lost count so I dumped it out.

I repeated the procedure. This time I added the powder and it never would turn pink. So I added a bit more. After that it turned deep purple again. So I started adding 871 again and got to 100 drops and still no change. It stayed dark purple. I am assuming this means my chlorine level is extremely high? I didn't want to add any more 871 because I am running out of it.

I then did the chlorine/ph test. (Red and yellow reagents) The chlorine was a dark, dark almost brown again indicating the chlorine level is way high. When testing the pH it was a dark purple 8.2, which has never happened before. My fill water has low pH and I always have to fight to raise it. I am assuming this test was skewed due to the high chlorine???
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TF-100 and High Chlorine Test

Yes, Your FC is wa-a-a-ay overdosed. Leave it alone for a few days and it will come down. The pH test is invalid when your chlorine is that high.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool avatar pic though. ha.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I had overdosed a bit on cold beer while doing the flush. Guess the pool and I are both a bit hungover today.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44