Heater size questions

Jul 2, 2015
Phoenix AZ
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and in the process of having our first pool built. We are building a pretty small pool/spa combo that I've learned is commonly called a spool or cocktail pool. A bit smaller than a standard play pool.

Pool will be about 7500 gallons I think (my calculations could be wrong). 250sqft and 65 foot perimeter. Location is Phoenix Arizona.

My question is trying to determine gas heater size. Our goal is to be able to heat it up to spa temps in the winter time, we don't want to wait all day for it to heat up. Pool builder is recommending a 250k btu heater, but I'm thinking a 400k btu heater will be better. Pool builder says 250k will heat up to 103 degrees in a few hours...I'm not so sure. Pool builder is also installing heat returns if that makes a difference (I don't know too much about this stuff yet). This will be supplied by a new gas line 2 inches in size.

I can't seem to find any accurate info online because my pool is sort of in between spa and pool size. Any my thoughts or input would be much appreciated. Anyone here go with a smaller heater and wish they would've went bigger?

Welcome to TFP!

I agree with the PB, but if you don't mind spending the cash, and want fast heat, then get the 400. You can have too little heat, but it's difficult to have too much if you want it. I'll say 400 is overkill, but if that's what you want, it's your money.

I would go with the 400 over the 250, based on what your purpose is as to heating the pool. Gas line size should be correct as to the pipe size and importantly, the gas meter. The real difference is cost of the heater. As far as to the cost of the gas, the 400 uses more gas but since it heats up the pool faster, you loose les heat to the air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.