Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get the cloudy out

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get the cloudy out

PH, CYA, Alkalinity and Stablizer are good, and finally I have my chlorine holding steady. Dumped in recommended amount of flocculant last night and it's still cloudy. This is after about a week long of trying different things, vacuuming to waste, adding metal stuff. Still cloudy. Do I just keep dumping in clarifier till it's clear?
    Scwhitson
    24,500 gallon, round, above ground pool. Sand filter, ultraviolet light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get the cloudy out

No, don't keep putting any more in. It may be over treated already, which may be giving you the opposite of the desired effect. We usually don't even suggest using them. You say those numbers are good, but that is vague and you don't list the level of the most critical item which is Free Chlorine. Proper levels of it, and filtration are all you need to get the pool cleared. Can you please post a set of full results, and tell us how you obtained them?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

ph 7.2 Free Chlor 3 Tot Alk 120 Stabilizer low end of 30-50 , using aquacheck pool and spa test strips
    Scwhitson

4. Back To Top    #4

Need to quit test strips and get a good test kit asap
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. You need to get one of the recommended test kits and go to pool school. Once you know how it's easy to maintain your pool. Mine gets complemented all the time by total strangers. I only spend 5 min a day and about 30 min on the weekend to keep it that way. The 30 min is vacuuming which I do while in the pool so it's not really work.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

Just trying to save money by using what strips I have left. Which is the cheapest accurate test kit you recommend?
    Scwhitson

7. Back To Top    #7

Buying a good test kit will actually SAVE you money as you'll know exactly what your levels are and able to effectively use the right changes in chemistry to solve the problem. The TF-100 from tftestkits.net is the best residential kit money can buy for appropriate amounts of reagents and value. The Taylor K-2006 is also an option but will require ordering some replacement reagents sooner.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the TF-100 in my sig as I think it's the best value, the Taylor 2006 is a bit less money but you don't get as much chemicals either. The TF-100 is only available online but with fast shipping. The Taylor 2006 can sometimes be found in pool stores, though you have to be careful because they may try to sell you a 2005 kit as the 2006.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks!
    Scwhitson

10. Back To Top    #10

What about the Taylor k-1004 kit?
    Scwhitson

11. Back To Top    #11

Does any one know if the Taylor k-1004 kit is ok?
    Scwhitson

12. Back To Top    #12

No. It does not have a FAS-DPD chlorine test.

# Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

If you can swing it, get the TF100. It was a bit much for me at $68, but it has saved me SO much money so far. Never will I ever step foot in a pool store again.
    Wendy
    1980s 20x40 in-ground beast, 36K gallons, 4' - 8', vinyl liner, Sand Dollar sand filter, two skimmers, bottom drain, three returns
    TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Ordered, thanks for your help, I will post levels when kit arrives.
    Scwhitson

15. Back To Top    #15

Recieved my Kit the K-2006. Here are my numbers:FC and CC-none It's been a few days since I added because I figured why waste it if my test strips were bad.
    PH 7, 3 drops of R-0006 brought it to 7.2, 5 drops brought it to 7.4
    Alk: 80ppm
    Calcium: 340 ppm
    CYA: 50 ppm

What do I need to do and how much?
    Scwhitson

16. Back To Top    #16

Assuming your water is still cloudy (algae), now you can accurately prepare for a SLAM. PH is good for a SLAM. Ideal CYA is 30, but 50 will do. So now:

You will see on this Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart that the SLAM FC level for a CYA of 50 is 20. You need to add enough bleach per the Poolmath calculator to keep it at 20 until you pass ALL 3 SLAM criteria. Keep the pump on 24/7, scrub frequently, and stay vigilant to any areas in your pool (lights, ladders, etc) that may house algae.

Test the FC level frequently, especially in the beginning, because the algae will eat it up quickly at first. It must stay at or slightly above 20.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you. So, on the pool calcuator, I enter a target FC of 20?
    Scwhitson

18. Back To Top    #18

That's correct. Make sure your pool volume is correct at the top, and select the appropriate % of bleach (i.e. 6%, 8.25, etc), then enter your NOW and TARGET (20) and the calculator will do the rest.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

19. Back To Top    #19

So, I am coming up with 8 gallons of bleach, does that sound right? How much extra do you generally get to keep it at that level?
    Scwhitson

20. Back To Top    #20

For a 24,500 gal pool, I came-up with 726 oz (5 Gal 3 qrts) of 8.25% bleach. I would just go with 6 gallons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast