Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free Chlorine Level

1. Back To Top    #1

Free Chlorine Level

Hello all,

New pool owner and I have adjusted all levels to within normal parameters with the exception of FC, which is reading very high at 15ppm. IS it OK to leave it at that and let it drift down normally? I have an inline chlorinator that I stock with the HTH 3" Tri-Chlor tabs and am also worried about my CYA levels creeping up, is there another alternative to the tabs that will not raise CYA? I have been toying with the adjustment level on the in line chlorinator, steadily decreasing it, now set on 3. Thanks for any suggestions.

John

FC 15ppm
    CC 0ppm
    PH 7.6ppm
    TA 100ppm
    CH 190ppm
    CYA 80ppm

24k gallons, 36*18 inground pool, plaster, DE filter, I'm in Boston and pool is in direct sunlight most of the day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Free Chlorine Level

Welcome to TFP!!

The only option to keep the CYA down is liquid products or converting to a Salt Water Chlorine Generator.

Yes, you can let it drift down normally, but remember with a CYA of 80 you want to target 9 and never let it go below 6.

How did you get these numbers, your testing or pool store?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

My first test was at a pool store, now I'm testing with a Taylor K2006 kit. So free chlorine at 9 and not below 6? Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach